Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Container veg to start in Autumn

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Container veg to start in Autumn « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scotkat  Send Scotkat a private message!

My Garden Journal
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 10:50 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

What can I plant or is Autumn the wrong time of year for planting any type of veggies.
I would like to try some container veg.

Scotkat - Scotland, Zone "?"

Gardenshowlady  Send Gardenshowlady a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 12:00 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

some of the plants we sow in late summer for fall harvest are cabbage, kale, mustard (the brassicas). Some others to perhaps give a try are peas, snowpeas.
good luck with the fall gardens~

Gardenshowlady - SC Lowcountry, Zone "8B"

My Garden Journal
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 03:14 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Carolyn what would be the best to grow in a container .
Bearing in mind I could be too late for planting this year.

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 05:03 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Any of what Carolyn mentioned would grow fine in large containers. I would also add kohlrabi, radish, lettuce, spinach, arugula and pak choi. I do not know your zone, but I can and am growing much off these and just started many of them. Of course, I am expecting a warm September.

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

My Garden Journal
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 05:17 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Charles I come over to the wonderful USA 24th August not home until 11th sep which would start to feel much sharper days.

Possibly for me in Uk start to sow seeds Spring.

Wanted to know if container veg ok to grow on.

My Garden Journal
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 05:17 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Charles I come over to the wonderful USA 24th August not home until 11th sep which would start to feel much sharper days.

Possibly for me in Uk start to sow seeds Spring.

Wanted to know if container veg ok to grow on.

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 05:46 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I use 5 gallon (18.927059 liter) pots or larger, but radish can be grown in small rectangular planter boxes. I love French Breakfast Radish: http://www.gardenbuddies.com/forum/messages/4309/1215221.html You could probably also use smaller pots for the pak choi. ;-)

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com