Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Store bought ?Compost? Question

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Composting and Soil Amendments-Archives » Store bought ?Compost? Question « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daylily  Send Daylily a private message!

Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 11:34 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi everyone.. I have clay soil in my backyard so I was told I need compost for it. I called one of my local stores today asking if they had compost, and they told me yes to come and pick it up. Well when I got there it was actually "Composted Cow Manure". I didn't buy it because I read that just adding manure to clay soil can actually make the problem worse rather than better, is that true? Or is *composted* manure good for it?

Can I purchase actual Compost? Or are the only kinds available through stores composted manure? Is there a big difference? Will this composted cow manure be good for my clay soil? Please help! I need to fix this soil! Thanks for reading.

P.S. I should also say that I know I can make compost myself, and I will be doing it in the future. I just want to get this bed planted now. Thanks!

Daylily - Mi, Zone "5b"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rosesarered  Send Rosesarered a private message!

Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 03:15 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I also have heavy clay soil. I break them up by mixing lots and lots of peat substitute which I bought from the garden centre and the composted cow manure too.

From my first experience, the composted cow manure is excellent for the plants, my roses love it, but with one caveat. It smells for a few days or a week or so. Since then I only add composted manure in winter as a mulch and before I leave home prior to summer holidays.

I only started composting my organic waste this year. Most of the time I buy bags of peat substitute to loosen up the sticky heavy clay in my garden. For me it is an on going process of adding on because last year a patch of my bulbs plants did not came back. I believe the clay is still too soggy in winter. So add as much composted material as you can.

Rosesarered - Ennetbaden, Switzerland, Zone " 7"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com