Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Asparagus Year One

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Asparagus Year One « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 11:53 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This is their first year, but I hope to have some delectable edibles next season.

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

Gardenbug  Send Gardenbug a private message!

Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 01:05 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Mine are HUGE at this time. In spring we gorge ourselves.
Charles, start collecting recipes!

Gardenbug - Ontario, Zone "4/5"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 02:04 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Cool Beans!!! Um...I mean Cool Asparagus! I have always wanted to try some, but I have a problem with delayed gratification. Two years seems a long time to wait. But I suppose you can by two year old plants????

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 09:25 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Suzy, just keep buying it at the store until your plants are mature. Then you'll be so happy. The fresh-from-the garden asparagus is quite different! In fact, I eat it sometimes without even cooking it.

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 09:37 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Cook asparagus? *gasp* Why? :)

Charles, mine looks similar. Isn't it neat? I was quite happy to see more shoots coming up after the initial flush of growth. I think they'll be healthy for next year. I love the fronds too. A storm early morning yesterday left us without power for most of the day and the winds broke a couple of my asparagus stalks. They are adorning my table inside at the moment. Lovely plants!

Suzy, I've been thinking about planting asparagus for 10 years. I just got some in the ground this year thanks to Charles' encouragement. I can only imagine all the wonderful springs I would have had had I planted them long ago.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Monique  Send Monique a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 09:50 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

There are so many good and beautiful asparagus recipes..One of my all time favs.

Monique Quebec Zone 5

My Garden
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 06:24 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I envy you, Marie. I wish mine were already huge and can barely wait to eat fresh from the garden spears. Do the plants tend to spread out over time?

It is a time investment, Suzy, but the older I become, the faster time flies. Next spring will be here sooner than desired. Asparagus roots can extend 15 feet or more, so my guess is that it is better to start with crowns (themselves already a year old), since it would be tough to plant such an extensive root system. I bet that it might survive, but not bear edibles, until the following year, leaving you at square one.

I am glad to hear that yours look similar, Greg. I, too, am encouraged by the continued appearance of new shoots. They are very interesting looking plants. I hope that we both have great spears next spring. ;-)

No doubt, you have tried asparagus recipes with toasted sesame seeds, Monique. Mmmmmmmm!!!

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,asparagus_sesame,FF.html

Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 07:18 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles, we actually found asparagus growing wild here when we moved in. We tried moving it into a "row" to organize things a bit. It did succeed, but then we added more of a different variety. It does move beyond the row, but that's fine, I just snap it off and gobble it on the spot! It is nowhere near as spreading as the raspberries though!

The original asparagus has both male and female plants whereas the newer plants are all male.

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 02:34 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Sooo...once you have them you have them? I suppose I could wait two years for that. Marie do you ever harvest the underground part? I remember eating the white part in France and loving it...dipped in a red wine/olive oil emulsion. How many plants would I need to be happy. Would 4 give me a few meals for two? Or do I need more?

Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 09:17 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Suzy, there are special techniques (which I've never tried) for covering the plants to blanch the asparagus. Frankly, mine grow so fast that the covering wouldn't last!

As to quantity, we are usually only two people eating it and have way more than enough! But I think I'd go for more than 4 plants if you have the space 'cause I'm a pig. You can always give some away! Read up first on how it grows. Mine is huge and tall at the moment (6 feet), very pretty. I cut it back in the Fall. You can use it in flower arrangements if you like.

Try this:
http://gardening.about.com/od/plantprofil2/p/AsparagusProfil.htm

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 03:17 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks for the link Marie. DH loves asparagus (me too), so maybe we will give it a try. In the article it is suggested that if you lack space you can put them in your border. What do you think of that suggestion? The foliage is so light and airy I can see why that might work.

Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 11:34 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well Suzy I prefer them in one spot so I know where to expect the early spring shoots and also so I can either cut them back or mulch them all at once. The article also suggests using them as a hedge later in the season. Mine are at that phase now. They look a little like giant cosmos!

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 12:15 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

From what I read, Suzy, asparagus is a "long-lived" perennial, that can be productive for 15 or more years, if given proper care. Greg and I have 10 plants each. I think that once it is established, we may have to add to it down the road, but am not really sure. How long have you enjoyed yours, Marie?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com