Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Yard Long Pole Beans

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Yard Long Pole Beans « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 03:33 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This is my first year growing these and, so far, I am very happy with the results.

Some information on them from: http://www.answers.com/topic/yard-long-bean

A pencil-thin legume that resembles a green bean except that it can grow up to about 3 feet long (though it's usually picked at 18 inches or less). Yard-long beans belong to the same plant family as the black-eyed pea. In fact, in parts of China the bean is allowed to mature until full-fledged peas are produced in the pod. Yard-longs have a flavor similar to but not as sweet as that of a green bean, with hints of its black-eyed-pea lineage. The texture of the pod is more pliable and not as crisp as that of a green bean. This legume, also called Chinese long bean, long bean or asparagus bean, can be found year-round (with peak season in the fall) in most Asian markets and some supermarkets with specialty produce sections. Select those that are small (which equates to younger) and very flexible; the peas should not have matured. Refrigerate in a plastic bag for up to 5 days. Yard-long beans are most often cut into 2-inch lengths and sautéed or stir-fried. Overcooking will make them mushy. These beans are rich in vitamin A and contain a fair amount of vitamin C.

These can grow to be 14 feet high, which my gazebo is not.

These are 18 to 24 inches long now.

A size comparison of my first picked, about 2 feet long. She was tasty raw and I look forward to harvesting enough for a real meal.

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "A malleable 4b"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 03:43 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Wow Charles...what an interesting bean. I don't think I've ever seen them. I can't wait to see how you prepare your first big harvest. That is one long bean!!!!! And look how they've covered your trellis. I bet this makes the gazebo nice and shady!

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

My Garden
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 03:48 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Suzy! They are really neat and I cannot wait to try them in this recipe with my garlic:

http://countingsheep.typepad.com/amuse_bouche/2004/10/chinese_yard_lo.html

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 04:14 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Looks great, Charles! When I was in graduate school and only had a small plot in the community gardens, I used to see many refugees from Laos growing these. They would make a teepee like structure using long branches about 12 feet high and the beans would climb up and over. I grew them once a few years ago. I think I need to try again!

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

My Garden
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 05:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thank you, Greg! Some people seem to think that they taste a bit like asparagus, but I would disagree, unless, at three feet, the acquire that taste. I will see soon enough. I really like the flavor, but find it difficult to describe. Definitely not your ordinary bean.

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 06:17 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Sounds delicious. Will you omit or add the pork? I think it would taste great without. I will have to further investigate that blog page. Looks like it could have some more interesting things. Thanks Charles for sharing the link.

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

My Garden
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 08:27 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I think that it would probably be good with or without. I will have plenty of beans and garlic for a bit, so I guess that I could try it both ways.

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 10:19 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Definitely add the pork! There's nothing better than beans, garlic, ginger, dried red chili and pork. YUM!!!

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Beverly  Send Beverly a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:25 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles,
What are the three lavender color things in the photo with the cucumbers and yard long bean? I have never seen those before?
The photos you have posted are very colorful

Beverly
SW Missouri-USA

Beverly - SW Missouri, Zone "2"

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 12:11 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi, Beverly, and thank you. Those are Bianca di Rosa eggplants, an Italian heirloom, loved for its beauty and flavor.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright ©2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com