Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Edible Giants

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Edible Giants « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 12:50 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Largest of the season.

Yes, this is a different one.

More on the way.

Brassica oleracea Kossak Hybrid.

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "A chilly 4b"

Serenitybench  Send Serenitybench a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 10:56 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

MAMMA!!!!!!! What's cha gonna do with these bad boys?????

Serenitybench - PaOhio, Zone "5a"

My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 01:48 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Probably another round of eggplant parmesan. I have an awful lot of veggies right now, so I will setup my three large crockpots and make a hearty chicken vegetable stew, much of which will be added to my list of things to can. I am up to 80 quarts of tomatoes and almost 40 quarts of pickles, with more to go.

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 01:04 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles wrote on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 12:00 pm:

I am up to 80 quarts of tomatoes and almost 40 quarts of pickles, with more to go.

Good Grief Charlie Brown what in the heck are you going to do with that many pickles? Tomatoes I could dispose of, but pickles??? Hmmm I forsee lots of Christmas stockings smelling strangely of dill

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

My Garden
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 04:09 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

LOL, Suzy! I was so busy making sure none of my cucumbers went to waste by making pickles, I had not really thought about ending up with so many jars. Three quarters of them are kosher dill and, the remainder, bread and butter. Most of them are quart sized jars, but others are half gallon and they look really neat, in addition to tasting great. I will have to print up some fancy labels and, when I visit or am visited, start giving at least half away to unsuspecting taste buds. Perhaps, I can leverage a few of them into dates.

Sunnyday2day  Send Sunnyday2day a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 04:22 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You DO have a huge bounty there, Charles. Have you ever thought about taking some to the Farmer's Mkt? It's one of my favorite places to go for wonderful fresh veggies like yours. :) They are open on Sat. (here) just till noon but boy do they do the business!

Sunnyday2day - Michigan, Zone "5"

My Garden
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 09:54 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi, Tanya. As you can imagine, there are lots of farmers' markets here in WI. I love to go to them and often buy things that I do not grow myself. I bought some great cauliflower and broccoli last weekend. I actually think that I would enjoy selling vegetables, but, having taken up canning, I find myself squirreling away quite a bit of food. That has evolved into a sensible emergency preparedness plan. So, while I can see myself continuing to give edibles to family and friends, I am much too greedy to part with most of them.

Malgorzata  Send Malgorzata a private message!

Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 10:47 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles, WOW! What's your secret to make your vegies so big and pretty? I always admire your crops (and the artistic photos of them) and I begin to think that you have an extra secret formula to grow such giants. Just wanted to say you have been doing it so well!

Malgorzata - Fukuoka-Kyushu, Zone "8"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:20 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles wrote on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 02:21 pm:

Perhaps, I can leverage a few of them into dates.

HA! Good thinking. I would, I think, reserve the bread and butters for this use. But that's just me.

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:22 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Suzyqt1968 wrote on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 10:32 pm:

Charles wrote on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 02:21 pm:

Perhaps, I can leverage a few of them into dates.

HA! Good thinking. I would, I think, reserve the bread and butters for this use. But that's just me.

Well, I guess size does matter!

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

My Garden
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 01:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi, Malgorzata. I do not really have a secret, but I do think that I have developed a knack for it over the years, oddly, in much the same way some people are good at catching fish. All I do is set up the most ideal conditions that I can.

Good idea, Suzy! I will call it my "if you have dinner with me, you get a free quart of bread and butter pickles swooning technique."

LOL, Greg!

Serenitybench  Send Serenitybench a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 06:23 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Greg! Sick dog!

Serenitybench - PaOhio, Zone "5a,remember that day it was sunny?"

Deadlyart  Send Deadlyart a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 07:24 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

wow they are really big what are you feeding them I use chicken dung looks like you might be using terridactile poo!!

deadlyart

http://www.llamaseven.com

Deadlyart - combe martin, Zone "?" Click to hear a voice greeting from Deadlyart

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com