Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
My first comp

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Composting and Soil Amendments-Archives » My first comp « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Serenitybench  Send Serenitybench a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 01:49 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Plant Forum

Plant Forum My friend gave me her's, she never used it. Lucky me!
What all do you put in yours? How often do you turn it? how long will it take to get goodies out of it? Mine is in pretty much full sun.
Been wanting to do this for a long time now. Never had the room to before. SO far its 3/4 full with grass, 1 bluejay feather, 1 spider, and a bunch of apples., some coffee filters, and banana peels. I have 3 huge apples trees and the fruit is falling fast. I guess I can add the soil from my planters and plants. I just don't understand how all the seeds don't start to grow in your pile then when you start to dish it out.
I tried a worm farm once a few years back. That didn't work out.

Serenitybench - PaOhio, Zone "5a,remember that day it was sunny?"

Terryk  Send Terryk a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 02:05 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You need some browns-straw will do to mix in and get it composting.

Here's an article.

http://www.compostguide.com/

This is also a good book to have

http://shop.bbg.org/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BGGS&Product_Co de=BBG-TEC-153&Category_Code=BBG-TEC

Terryk - NY, Zone "6"

My Weather
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 11:13 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

thanks

Serenitybench - PaOhio, Zone "5a,remember that day it was sunny?"

Greth  Send Greth a private message!

Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 10:54 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Your recipe is a bit short of manure.
I have a three bin system. Weeds and food scraps go into the Chicken house, then they are moved (after days, weeks or months) into the compost bins, along with any prunings, or grass clippings. I try to ensure that I never have too much of anything, just layers. I do not turn them, water them, or indeed do anything until at least a couple of months have passed.
Then I sift it with a garden sieve - anything too large or too soggy gets tossed into the next bin which is being filled, but the stuff I get out is fine, rich and beautiful to look at.
Yes you will get weed seeds surviving the process. The easiest time to kill weeds is at their weakest, when the seeds have just sprouted. Hoe them and they gone. Bottom line is that you cannot have healthy rich soil without weeds taking advantage of it, but you can eradicate those and let your lovely plants enjoy the richness.

Greth - South Australia, Zone "?"

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 11:00 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have no manure , But, its just starting. My trouble is winter is coming too. And I am not too sure about this Vent or no vent thing. YOU sound like you know what you are doing 100%.A real system going on there.

Serenitybench - PaOhio, Zone "5a"

My Weather
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 08:43 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

its all filled for full! I just managed to get in 2 more eggshells. Its about 97.2% dried grass

Serenitybench - PaOhio, Zone "5a"

Thegrova  Send Thegrova a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 07:06 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Howdy Composters! I use a 5 bin system! I am not showing off - I just have a big garden. The first two bins are from www.earthmaker.co.nz. I would not want to be with out them. Everything goes through one of these two bins. After about 3 weeks it comes out the bottom looking like good mulch. It then goes into a big square bin and gets cycled from there into the next bin and so on. The moving from one bin to the next seems to keep it aerated and speeds up the process. By the end it is filled with earth worms and goes streight into the garden. I use leaves, lawn clippings, weeds (except fibouous roots and bulbs, ashes from the fireplace, and chippings from the chipper. I also add horse manure which a local horse owner sells by her gate for $1 per bag. I do not have kitchen scraps to add because I burn those in my wood fired kitchen range - I will feed them to the chickens when I get the chicken run built!

I have read in a number of places that leaves should not be added to compost. But there has never been a reason given. Does any one know why? I always thought they were great in compost.

Thegrova - New Zealand, Zone "?"

Greth  Send Greth a private message!

Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 10:33 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Basically if it was ever alive, it can be composted. Leaves and grass clippings are very high in nitrogen, poor in other nutrients. Paper would be good for carbon, poor in nitrogen. Food scraps are rich in nutrients, but can tend to turn the compost into a soggy smelly mess. And attract rats and mice.
I would say leaves are fine, but don't let your compost be dominated by any one component, make sure it is a mix.
I would actually just dump stuff into the compost directly, but the chicken house is right next to the compost bins, and when they look at me with their big brown eyes and cluck away mournfully, I let them have first pick of the rubbish. Sometimes I take it back after only a couple of days, once they ate the best bits and the weeds have dried off a bit, if I'm busy or its soggy it might be months before I dig it out.
Chicken house and compost bins in April. the structure on the far left is the remnants of the chicken house the people before us built.DH had just been having fun with the tractor and grader blade, making a new flat area above the chicken house for either a woodshed or a parrot aviary. We haven't decided which yet!This is at the 'front' of our house, facing the road. You can't see the main road from here, its down below the rise. The roads you can see our our driveways.
Plant Forum

Greth - South Australia, Zone "?"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com