Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Brussel Sprouts :-)

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Brussel Sprouts :-) « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 11:51 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Plant Forum
By Nick Kim

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "A chilly 4b"

Sunnyday2day  Send Sunnyday2day a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 11:59 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Though I'm not a brick thrower, I'm not a fan either! Funny, because I do like other strong tasting members of the cabbage family such as rutabaga.

Sunnyday2day - Michigan, Zone "5"

Serenitybench  Send Serenitybench a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 09:56 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

not a fan either but this is cute

Serenitybench - PaOhio, Zone "5a,remember that day it was sunny?"

Rain1950  Send Rain1950 a private message!

Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 01:02 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Good! Keeps the price down for folks like me. I can't get enough of them.

Rain1950 - Washington, Zone "8"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 03:24 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oh, I do love brussel sprouts. Funny, Charles! I never knew rutabagas were a member of the cabbage family. Interesting.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 04:26 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Poor baby Brussel. The facts of life are hard!!! I am in the tolerant crowd...

I would love to know the secret of getting rid of their bitterness though. So far the only thing I have found is to smother them with cheese whiz!! hehehehe.

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

My Garden
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 04:49 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I steam them usually and do not necessarily add any spices or sauces, since I love their flavor as is. Yesterday, I made three large crock pots of chicken stew and it looks like I will end up with 16 quarts of canned divinely chunky and delicious liquid by tonight. In addition to the black radish, it has plenty of brussels sprout cut in half. Both turned out to be great additions to the vegetables already in the stew. Mmmmmmmm...tasty! I should grab a photo.

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 04:52 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

OH yes we need a photo..and recipe. I suppose I should try using the brussel sprouts in other dishes. I have only tried them by their lonesome.

Verdant0green  Send Verdant0green a private message!

Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 05:13 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I love brussel sprouts, steamed, with gravy. Really yummy. I was never one of those kids who wouldn't eat their brussel sprouts. Now lima beans are a different story...

Verdant0green - Northern California, Zone "9"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 06:02 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles, your stew sounds divine!

Here's something I made last year.

Beef soup with Brussel Sprouts.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Cooper  Send Cooper a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 06:38 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Nothing wrong with Brussels as long as they arent over cooked.

Cooper - NSW, Australia, Zone "Warm Temperate"

My Weather
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 12:47 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Saw some growing in a ladies garden today. They look so pretty on the plant.
Greg
I'm sorry but your soup looks like eyeballs looking at me. I am sure its wonderful . I can almost smell it from here.

Serenitybench - PaOhio, Zone "5a"

My Garden
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 04:10 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Your soup looks delicious, Greg. I am afraid that I never use a recipe for my stews or soups, Suzy, but here is a picture of one of the crock pots. You are so funny, Mimi. Eyeballs, LOL!

My Weather
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 05:50 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

No Offence meant to Greg.
its Ween TIme ya know
It would be a hit at at party
I am sure everyones is really yum.

Serenitybench - PaOhio, Zone "5a"

Susanq  Send Susanq a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 11:18 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

That's funny, Charles! I have to admit I love them, especially high-heat, oven-roasted with an assortment of other veggies like onions, sweet potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower.

SusanQ - Zone 4b-5b Wisconsin

My Garden
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 01:11 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hmmm, Susan, I love roasted vegetables, but have never done brussels sprout. I will have to try that and can imagine it being tasty. The sprouts in this stew came from the West Allis farmers' market.

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 03:41 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Your soup looks delicious Charles. I am like you. Even if I have a recipe for soup it usually gets other things added or subtracted as the case may be. I often make my "Leftover" soup. Usually a tomato base of some sort and then whatever I have left in the frig from the week..chili, ground beef dishes, leftover steak. I have even been known to chop up lasagna and throw it in. Only trouble with that kind of soup...no matter how you try you can never duplicate it!

Greg your soup looks interesting too. Was that for a house full? Seems like a lotttt of brussels. Susan, roasted with other veggies sounds like a great idea.

Spuddigger  Send Spuddigger a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 06:59 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I never liked vegetables as a kid because they were ALWAYS overcooked. But we never had Brussels sprouts, so I never learned to hate them. I intend to grow some this year. Lightly steamed, they're great.

Spuddigger - CO, Zone "5"

Gardenbug  Send Gardenbug a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 08:18 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I just want to add that the ONLY discipline effective for my son was serving him Brussels Sprouts. Poor kid....

As for me, I love them NOT overcooked in this recipe:

BRUSSELS SPROUTS AND POTATOES

4 cups fresh Brussels Sprouts
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 small onion finely chopped
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup pecan halves
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup cooked diced potato

Prepare sprouts adding bouillon cubes to the liquid.
Meanwhile saute onion in the butter until golden. Add pecans and cook, stirring a few seconds. Add remaining ingredients and toss with drained sprouts.
Sometimes I use lemon juice rather than Worcestershire sauce. I love lemon juice and add even more...

Gardenbug - Ontario, Zone "4/5"

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 10:07 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

My Brussels sprouts seedlings are doing well. They're putting out true leaves. My spare room, which was going to be a sewing/quilting room, has been turned into a plant nursery -- at least until I can find my sewing machine!

Alugold  Send Alugold a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 02:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

If you want to tame the bitterness of brussel sprouts, pick them when they are small and simmer them in milk. Drain the milk before serving. (I like to add red basil for flavor and color)

Alugold - michigan, Zone "5"

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 02:40 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Brussel Sprouts Pictures. My Growing Experience.

http://xrl.us/pwbn

1 August 2006. First picking of brussel sprouts. I pick the lower sprouts and remove the associated leaves. It seems to make the later sprouts more compact. There are 15 plants and they are all in excellent shape. Observing while washing and trimming the sprouts there were no bugs present. Incidentially 15 plants give a lot of brussel sprouts, about five is more than enough for a typical family.

They grow well in my garden and can be left even after snowfall; in fact, freezing seems to cause little change in flavour in Zone 5. All the plants were about as perfect as they can be. I give the plants a bit of support with a rebar to keep the stem straight.

This is the second year for growing brussel sprouts. They are started as seedlings and put into the garden as early as possible about April 15 if the weather is reasonable in Zone 5. It appears they can take a bit of frost as young plants. The plants get rather large so leave about 2 feet spacing. Even scrawny seedlings perk up and grow into healthy plants.

http://xrl.us/s6yg 12 November 2006 almost the end.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html
Durgan.

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Sunnyday2day  Send Sunnyday2day a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 10:41 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Alugold wrote on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 09:48 am:

If you want to tame the bitterness of brussel sprouts, pick them when they are small and simmer them in milk. Drain the milk before serving. (I like to add red basil for flavor and color)

I think I could go for it this way. Thanks.

Sunnyday2day - Tanya-Michigan, Zone "5"

Cindym  Send Cindym a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 06:26 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I stumbled on your site by way of Garden Web. Hope you don't mind me just jumping in.

I love Brussels sprouts, but it's hard to find decent ones here except for this time of year. One of my favorite ways to cook them is sautéed with fresh ginger and orange. It kills me that I can't do that right now because the kitchen is being remodeled and I'm stuck with a microwave and toaster oven. I did try roasting some recently, but didn't care for that method although roasted cauliflower (same family) is absolutely delicious. Go figure.

A little tidbit about Brussels sprouts ... they were introduced to America by the French who settled in Louisiana.

Durgan, the only cruciferous veggies I've grown are arugula, bok choy, radishes, daikon, and mustard greens. You make me want to give BS a shot next fall. Guess I need to do a little research and see when seeding time is down here. About how many sprouts do you harvest per plant?

Oh, here's that recipe in case anyone is interested. It's quick, easy, and a nice blend of flavors!

Warm Orange Ginger Brussels Sprouts Slaw

For this dish Brussels sprouts are shredded as you would a cabbage for slaw and then sautéed with ginger and orange. The orange and ginger flavors really pop, and there's not a hint of the old-fashioned, cooked-to-death sprouts.

1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts
2 tablespoons veggie oil (I use peanut oil & a touch of butter)
1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
Grated zest and juice of 1-2 oranges
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Remove outer leaves of sprouts and trim stems. Thinly slice by hand. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the shredded sprouts and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the ginger, orange zest and juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring, until the sprouts are just cooked, 4 to 5 minutes. If the pan gets dry, add a few more tablespoons of juice.

Serve immediately.

Cindym - LA, Zone "8b"

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 08:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Cindy Mac,
It seems people have a love hate relationship with brussel sprouts, mostly hate. There is no doubt that a few plants go a long way.

They grow so well in my area that I cannot resist growing them.

I simply boil and eat with a bit of butter, my condiment of choice. I dislike when they are over-cooked and mushy, which means they cannot be boiled more than a few minutes.

Certainly, I have never encountered the bitter taste referred to in some posts.

This year it is so cold that I still cannot get the vegetable garden ready. Last year I planted Brussel Sprouts on April 15. But that was an anomaly. I was planning on some of that Global Warming!

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 03:03 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Give it time. I'm assuming that in 10-15 years I'll be in Zone 6b, maybe 7.

Overcooking is the fastest way to ruin a Brussels sprout, and its easy enough to do. Leave the room for three minutes, and you might come back to overcooked sprouts. Then they get that bitter taste.

I think that's what put a lot of people off vegetables. They were forced to eat overcooked vegetables as children.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com