Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Boy do I feel like a tomato Dork

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Boy do I feel like a tomato Dork « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 04:14 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have this tomato plant covered in medium to large tomatoes. The label said Mortgage Lifter. I haven't pulled any ripe ones from it yet. About a week or more ago my beautiful green tomatoes starting turning what I thought was a sickly yellow. Today when I was picking tomatoes I paused to inspect the sickly yellow ones. As any good nurse would do..I squeezed one of them. It was soft..like a tomato reaching overripeness. Hmmmmmm..I said to myself and picked it. Could it be...heaven forbid..a YELLOW tomato???? What a dork I am. It could have rotted on the vine and would have had I not picked it. I have to say it is the tastiest tomato I have pulled all year even if it was a bit over ripe. Anybody have a guess at variety? It's more yellow than the orange it appears in the pic. I am not sure now whether the other large tomato I am growing is actually Mortgage Lifter or if its Brandywine. I bought them at the same time. Might be something completely different given the mislabeling of the yellow one. It's in the second picture and very heavy.

Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 04:27 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

For some reason, I thought you were a nurse.

Good save! There is a local nursery that mislabeled things so often that I stopped buying anything I could not definitely identify. No fun when that happens, although some pleasant surprises have cropped up.

I love yellow tomatoes. In addition to their wonderful flavors, they are very low in acid. Do you have more on the way?

Just remember. You are not the dork, since you did not mislabel anything.

Charles - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 04:51 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles wrote on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 02:39 pm:

I thought you were a nurse

Among other things...

There were actually 5 others ready to be picked! None as large as the first one, but just as tasty I'm sure. These were from Fred Meyer which is a kind of like a Super Walmart in the respect it has a grocery store/department store combination. They usually have a very nice selection of flowers in their nursery and I've never gotten anything else mismarked, but I will have to be wary of the veggies from now on. It was a nice surprise though. It's my first yellow tomato ever.

My Garden
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 05:12 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

First time? Congratulations! I hope you intentionally grow some next year. Once you have grown them, the vegetable garden somehow does not seem complete without them. This year my yellows included Aunt Gertie's Gold, Garden Peach, Sun Gold Cherries, Roman Candle, Orange Strawberry and Pineapple, all of which I would recommend.

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 05:17 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Okay I take it back. I have some Sungolds. First time I have grown BIG yellow tomatoes! I like the looks of Garden Peach. Will have to look for those at the Farmer's Market next year..or something similar.

My Garden
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 05:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

An heirloom, Garden Peach is colored like a peach and has a sweet mild flavor. Fruits are 2-4 oz. and the vines are prolific and very easy to grow in poor soil. The skins are soft like suede!

Monique  Send Monique a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 05:56 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Garden peach looks like it's name..
Suzy..a tomato dork:)

At least you grew some..I still ahve not planted the garlic..
Even with a yummy meal awaiting.. I am drooling over all these tomatoes.
Charles..did I tell u I was a palm reader?

Monique Quebec Zone 5

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com