Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Fall Crop Tabascos - Zone 8A

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Fall Crop Tabascos - Zone 8A « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tumbleweed  Send Tumbleweed a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 03:50 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

These Tabasco peppers were transplanted last April and made a small crop in late July, stopped producing in Aug when the temp went over 100 F for about 19 days, started up again late Aug. We had a late frost last year (in Dec.), so maybe there is a chance that some of these fall crop Tabascos will get ripe.

More Tabascos

and more

still more Tabascos

lots more

Tabascos everywhere

Tabascos for all

Tumbleweed - Texas, Zone "8A"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 04:06 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Holy smokes, that's a mountain of heat!!

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 05:41 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Greg,

Thanks for your kind words. I was lucky with the peppers, all survived the Texas heat. But I lost 9 out of 24 tomato seedlings to the heat back in August. Only the Sun Gold and a few Big Beef made it. This is the first year that I used shade cloth, it sure made a difference. Also, this is my first year to try a fall crop. When I planted the tomato seeds last June I figured I had plenty of time to make a crop, but not so sure now.

Dennis

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 07:35 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

They are beautiful! I don't think I could muster up enough heat here to grow them though. Have you ever visited Avery Island in Louisiana where they bottle Tabasco sauce? They still grow peppers there for their bottling but most I think are now grown overseas and shipped in for the bottling process. One of my favorite things is tabasco peppers covered in vinegar and store in the refrigerator to sprinkle on my greens and cornbread!

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 04:37 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Suzy, I am originally from Louisiana (near Shreveport) but have not visited Avery Island. I lived in Lafayette long ago, and enjoyed the wonderful people and wonderul yams. I made some Tabasco pepper sauce with white vinegar, I think it is called "pique," used my Mom's recipe. It turned out HOT as you would expect. Most of my fall crop Tobascos were taken by frost before they got ripe. I managed to pick about two pounds before the frost. Am going to try some Jalapenos next spring. Dennis

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 03:48 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You should do great with the jalapenos Dennis. I am going to try some other kinds of peppers next summer. Even bellpeppers have a hard time getting ripe here though. I had some but they were small. I need to search out cool weather varieties if there is such a thing. Our cool summer nights are what make them so slow I think.

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

Greth  Send Greth a private message!

Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 08:54 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Probably Suzy. Even planting as early as possible in spring here (September) it is a challenge to get any summer peppers or tomatoes ripe before Christmas. Once the weather and the soil really warms up they are hard to stop! Nice to know another pickled pepper fan, I love em too. But I think the fruit from even one of Tumbleweeds plants would have kept me happy for a year!

Greth - South Australia, Zone "?"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com