Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Epimedium shuichengense

Garden Forum » Archives » Perennials in the Garden Forum-Archives » Epimedium shuichengense « Previous    Next »

Subtopic
Gardener
Archive through December 18, 2006Jgwoodard20 12-18-06  09:22 am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike_in_chicago  Send Mike_in_chicago a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 10:59 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Yes, that first seedling is a winner. I was just thinking I needed more epimediums in general; I think 'Yubae' might find its way into my garden.

Mike_in_chicago - Chicago, IL, Zone "5b"

Geoforce  Send Geoforce a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 11:43 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Yes Mara the first one's color is real. The pink is actually dispersed in small dots over the sepals, and looks more delicate up close. I have 6 seedlings which have bloomed from this F1 cross, and all are essentially identical. This is first years bloom, on a plant with only a pea sized crown, and it should have a much larger inflorescence as it grows larger

The unknown species unfortunately is not in the trade yet but the plant sold as E. wushanense 'Caramel' is very similar, a bit lighter in color, and a bit weaker grower in my garden, but a good plant overall. I know it is available in Britain, and probably in Europe as well.

Mike, 'Yubae' is a great color. Not as many blooms as I would like, but a very strong grower. Some nurseries offer it under the name 'Rose Queen'.

Geoforce - Pennsylvania, Zone "USDA 7a"

Tony_willis  Send Tony_willis a private message!

Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 02:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have been in touch with the Prosts and Karen is putting me on the mailing list. George and Joseph thanks for your help.

I grow the wushenense and a picture of its flowers are below.Mine is a young plant and only got to about 20 inches high in a pot but I am hoping for even better things when I plant it out in the spring

Plant Forum

Tony_willis - Lancashire, Zone "7"

Terryk  Send Terryk a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 04:35 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I just love the flowers on these plants. They are so wonderful in spring when the flowers flutter in the wind. I only have a few but these threads may add another obsession to my every growing plants that I "must" have.

Terryk - NY, Zone "6"

Jgwoodard  Send Jgwoodard a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 08:41 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks Tony and George for the photos. I'm looking forward to spring more than ever! Hmm, I wonder if there is an epimedium forum in gardenbuddies future... presumably it would be a first. :-)

George your first hybrid is special (It blows E x versicolor 'Cupreum' away for flowers.). I haven't seen one like that. The caramel thing is interesting. Do you know where it originated? I have some plants from Heronswood sold as seedlings from caramel and hybrids from wushanense, but they were new this year for me so not sure what to expect. I can tell that some of them will be large plants with large, long leaves.

Jgwoodard - TN, Zone "7"

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 12:09 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Joseph, Thanks for the kind words. Darrell says he has made this cross, but for some reason, could not get much interest from people in it. I made it in a quest to get a series of different colored stellulatum type plants but was totally surprised that the dark red, tiny sepals of davidii did not affect the size of the stellulatum sepals but gave this nice pink coloration. I'm starting on an F2 generation via sibling crosses this year.

Darrell tells me that 'Caramel' was collected in an area different from the type locality of Wushanense, I believe he went into some detail about its origin in his catalog/newsletter when he offered it as one of his 'Expedition Fund' plants several years ago, and retells some of it in his recent list where he is offering the "True" wushanense. I'll try to look it all up, as I know I have kept those lists somewhere. He began to doubt its correct identification, and so on one of his trips went to the type locale and made some collections, which he is now offering. Apparently these now agree with the holotype of the species. I have one of these, and it looks like it will be rather tall, but the leaves are less angular than caramel. Darrell said the main difference is that E. wushanense has a rather tight raceme of flowers, densely packed, versus the openness of the scape on Caramel and the others from it's local, and also apparently rhizomes differ fairly much.

Jgwoodard  Send Jgwoodard a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 05:47 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Now that you mention it I do recall that George. I have all the catalogs/lists from 2003 or 2004 on but haven't looked at them in a while. I had forgotten 'Caramel' was wild-source. I do like the dense look of the E. wushanense inflorescences very much, and that one pictured this year with the blueish leaves is very nice looking. E. latisepalum seems to have that dense floral characteristic as well, as do some of the E. koreanum plants which are nice on a slope.

Jgwoodard - TN, Zone "7"

Tony_willis  Send Tony_willis a private message!

Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 10:40 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Christmas arrived early with the post this morning. My catalogue came from Garden Vision and it is great with beautiful pictures and excellent descriptions. Also just like Jim Archibalds list there is a rant on his pet hobbyhorse of the moment.
My problem now is to decide if I can afford the add on charges for buying outside the US.These make the cost prohibitive.

Tony_willis - Lancashire, Zone "7"

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 02:57 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I just received the catalog. Any suggestions as to which are easiest for a beginner?

Terryk - NY, Zone "6"

Mike_in_chicago  Send Mike_in_chicago a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:11 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Terry, if you mean easiest to hybridize (which has been talked about a little here), I can't help, but easiest in general I can help you with. I've had E. youngianum 'Niveum' and 'Roseum' and grandiflorum 'Lilafee' for years and these have been effortless except for some minor, late-season slug damage. All have responded well to early spring divisions as well.

Mike_in_chicago - Chicago, IL, Zone "5b"

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:41 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Terry, Any of them hybridize easily, but they are all self-sterile, so you need at least 2 to get seeds. By this I mean 2 different clones. Two plants of the same variety will not do it. Seeds are grown similarly to hellebore, and if grown in pots of fertile mix, can be bloomed in 2 years generally.

As for beauty, I recommend the E. stellulatum, E. youngianum 'Freckles', E. x paralchicum 'Frohenleiten', and E. grandiflorum 'Yubae'. That is a white, a pink, a yellow, and a deep magenta. As mike mentioned, 'Lilafee' is a nice lavender.

Of the E. stellulatum varieties, I like the 'long-leaf forms' best, but all are great.

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 05:22 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

OOPS!! Hope I didn't imply that you needed 2 separate species. What I meant was 2 different clones. You can easily get seed from 2 "different" plants of any one species, and most always can get seed from 2 plants of different species also. But if you have 2 plants of e.g. E. grandiflorum 'Yubae', they will not make a fertile cross.

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 05:54 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks for your information. No I just want to start using them in the garden, no hybridizing-my hands are full growing hellebore and cyclamen from seed!

Your suggestions are a great help!

Terryk - NY, Zone "6"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com