Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Bare root apples?

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Bare root apples? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Polly_poppy  Send Polly_poppy a private message!

Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 03:04 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have bought 3 varieties of apple which arrived during the week, bare root. They are packed with damp straw round the roots. Question- how soon do I need to plant them out? The weather this weekend has been foul, freezing cold yesterday and very wild and wet today. I braved the weather today to get one into a large pot but wonder if the other two can wait til next weekend if I store them in a frost free shed. The roots are still wrapped in the damp straw. I work full time and it is dark by the time I get home. What do the experts think?

Polly poppy Glasgow UK

Andy_p  Send Andy_p a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 06:23 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Polly, If kept cool and the roots kept damp, they should hold until next weekend. However the season is progressing and the time for them to get established is dwindling. Will you grow them in pots or in the ground?
I've planted most of my fruit trees from bare root without a problem but in Spring.
I kept one dwarf Cherry in a big pot for 2 years with no ill effects.

Andy_p - Massachusetts, Zone "6b"

Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 06:57 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks Andy. I plan to plant the other two in large wooden troughs which stand in a very sheltered part of the garden. The varieties are Katy, James Grieve and Sunset(planted already in a large terracotta pot). We benefit from the Gulf stream so frosts are short lived. The planters have to be emptied as they currently contain 3 clematis, bronze fennel and bulbs. I have new compost to add to them but couldn't face having to brave today's weather any longer.

Polly poppy Glasgow UK

Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 07:01 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I meant to add that all of them are grafted on M27 (very dwarf rootstock) so shouldn't grow any bigger than 1.8 m

Polly poppy Glasgow UK

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com