Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
101 on Lemon Tree ?

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » 101 on Lemon Tree ? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Malgorzata  Send Malgorzata a private message!

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:21 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have had a lemon tree for over 10 years. First in the huge pot where actually it seemed quite happy. After moving to the new house I planted it in the garden next to the wall. I does grow sooo fast that needs quite a lot of pruning. The problem, I haven't seen the fruit in four years! :( When do I prune and how? Last year there were actually a few flower buds (too few) but they were all gone after one of the typhoons. 101 on lemon trees please!

Malgorzata - Fukuoka-Kyushu, Zone "8"

Sunnyday2day  Send Sunnyday2day a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 02:31 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Maybe if E.J. reads this or one of our California buddies they can help you, M.

Sunnyday2day - Tanya-Michigan, Zone "5"

Greth  Send Greth a private message!

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 09:47 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

My first thought is temperature, citrus will not set fruit if they are too cold, is your wall in a warm part of the garden? If it is otherwise healthy, as it seems to be, that might be the problem.
Just to be difficult, citrus will set fruit but not ripen in a hot climate - in the tropics the fruit needs to be picked and placed in a refrigerator to get a good colour. At the moment my lemon tree is laden, but not a yellow fruit in sight. When it gets cool enough they will all ripen at once.

Greth - South Australia, Zone "?"

My Garden
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 12:41 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Greth! Thank you for responding! :) Well, the actual problem with my lemon tree...first it was not setting the flowers buds (or too few of them) after transplanting to the ground. But behold! Just yesterday I noticed hundred new tiny flower buds!!! :-) The next step: I know they like to drop so how to prevent that? I can't do anything about our strong winds but I guess that is not the only problem. Then if the little fruits are formed..they also like to drop. As for the temperatures...my Zone number is only correct for the lowest temperatures...We have hot and humid summers with temperatures about 37C-39C daily. Well, it seems I do not really "understand" my lemon tree's needs. Now when I see flower buds how do I keep them and possible fruit on the tree?! I want to see those green lemons there!!

Malgorzata - Fukuoka-Kyushu, Zone "8/9"

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 06:18 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

A little update on my lemon tree! First 1001 flowers dropped. :( Then 101 little lemons dropped. But by today a few survived and there are 10 or 12 huge beautiful lemons left high in the tree! :)

It was time for a nice hot tea with fresh lemon!
Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Perfect and awesome fragrance! I am so glad those few fruit survived this year!

Malgorzata - Fukuoka-Kyushu, Zone "8/9"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com