Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Garden Fabric?

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Composting and Soil Amendments-Archives » Garden Fabric? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nanny56  Send Nanny56 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 02:53 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Anyone use this or have an opinion? New home & the border has been very neglected & lots of grass & weeds. Thanks for any help.

Nanny56 - Indiana, Zone "5b"

Missgarden  Send Missgarden a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:36 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I did use landscape fabric in one area under some spruce trees followed by a thick layer of mulch. However, I won’t be planting anything else in this area to have to worry later about cutting through or removing the fabric.

I would not use fabric in perennial/annual borders. If the border is overgrown with weeds I would try to remove most by hand. Then I would cover the border with a thick layer of mulch to suppress others from starting. If you have a fair amount of space in between the perennials and want a stronger weed barrier then lay down a few layers of newspaper first (non shiny) then cover with mulch. This is just as effective as landscape fabric with the benefit that the paper will eventually decompose. I have used this method very effectively.

Missgarden - Ontario, Zone "5b"

Valia  Send Valia a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 01:53 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I've watched friends use landscape fabric, and they seem to do more work weeding than I do. The weeds all grow strongly right next to their perennials and they have difficulty removing them. And adding, moving or removing plants creates headaches. Maybe a professional would have success at dealing with this, but most gardeners I've seen have problems.

As Luiza says, great for the base of a tree, but other covers and mulches make more sense for perennial borders.

I've also seen it used successfully for shrubby creeping or arching groundcovers like junipers, where you don't expect to make any changes.

Valia - WA (summer) UT (winter), Zone "5a and 9a"

Rain1950  Send Rain1950 a private message!

My Time
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 01:23 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The common myth is that it kills what is growing; NOT! It is used to stop need weed seeds from getting in contact with the soil. Pull out all the weeds; lay the fabric and mulch

Rain1950 - Washington, Zone "8"

Joyce  Send Joyce a private message!

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 05:35 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Used it once and never again.

Joyce - British Columbia, Zone "8"

Hocklea  Send Hocklea a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 08:57 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I hate the stuff. My former husband used it and it has taken me years to get rid of it. It is hard to get up if it has been down a long time. The weeds grow on top of the stuff. I just use mulch, or hand weed. So much better. I would only use that stuff under a walk way.

Hocklea - Washington, Zone "8"

Flowerfreak  Send Flowerfreak a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:17 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Valia wrote on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 09:53 am:

As Luiza says, great for the base of a tree, but other covers and mulches make more sense for perennial borders.

I only use it for areas I don't intend on planting anything else for a long, long time-if at all.

My MIL had my DH put it down in 2 of her beds a couple of years ago. Earlier this spring, I was the lucky one who got to rip it all out when I was diving/moving the plants. That was no fun. I told DH to not put that down anymore if his mom wanted me to do any more gardening there

Flowerfreak - Ky, Zone "6a"

Loretta  Send Loretta a private message!

Supporting Member

Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 01:48 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I use it under a pathway or informal hardscapes like the brick pad under my hose bib. Eventually, weeds will grow in these areas but they are easy to pull out. I have also used it in temporary situations like a row of tomatoes or under my kids sandbox. But I couldn't use it in the garden for reasons mentioned above.

Loretta - NJ, Zone "6"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright ©2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com