Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Garlic 2007

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Garlic 2007 « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 07:46 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This year, I am growing a variety of run-of-the-mill (German Porcelain, Romanian Red, Russian Giant, Italian Purple and Music), exotic (Marino, Stuli, Gautemalen Ikeda, Korean Red, Rosewood and Morado Gigante) and hierloom or rare (Ail de Pay Gers, Armenian Porcelain, Bzenc, Pyong Vang Korean, Siciliano. French Germinador, Red Rezan and Leningrad) garlics.

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

Mimi  Send Mimi a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 10:44 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

and a partridge in a pear tree!.......
sorry, could not resist.
lol
looks great.
I should of dug mine up from the farm. oh well, always the flea market , July garlic comes up correct?

Mimi - PaOhio, Zone "5a"

Valia  Send Valia a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 01:36 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Mmmmm .. will these be showing up in the recipe forum this summer?

Valia - WA (summer) UT (winter), Zone "5a and 9a"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 12:18 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Wow! Looks great and it's really coming along. Mine is still buried under a blanket of snow!

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

My Garden
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 03:36 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

LOL, Mimi! Yes, with a little luck, I should end up with about 200 bulbs around July 15th. Tell the people who inherited your garlic to cut off the flowers at top before they bloom. That way, all of the energy will go into producing nice fat bulbs and, prior to harvest, cut the scapes (the main flower stalk) for use in stir-fries and soups. When their leaves are about half dry, harvest, wash and cure the garlic, leaving the stalks attached. Most certainly, Anne! There is nothing quite like garden fresh organic garlic. I use it as often as I can in cooking and canning. Greg, maybe this summer, we could post some garlic-themed recipes, assuming the snow melts in Fargo.

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 01:41 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

http://xrl.us/oef2 Curing the 2006 Crop.
http://xrl.us/o32d Curing the 2006 Crop.

This is the 2006 effort. I have kept garlic in perfect condition for over a year. I suspect the curing process is the main issue regarding longevity in storage.

Stiff Neck Snake Garlic
31 March 2007: http://Garlic1.notlong.com Starting to grow.

http://Profile1.notlong.com Some interesting information about this garlic plant.

31 March 2007. The fifty cloves were planted about 10 cm (4 inches) below the ground on 15 October 2006. No shoots came up until about 25 March 2007. All fifty cloves sprouted and appear quite healthy. A scape is the flower stalk of the stiff-necked garlic. The scapes (seed stem) will be harvested just prior to the flower opening, and the bulbs will be pulled about the 5 July 2007 in Zone 5.

Durgan
http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 07:33 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Good to see another garlic grower/lover here. I have been very impressed with with your galleries.

I think that you are right about curing and longevity.

I am in the process of rebuilding my GB site, so you will not find much there right now, but I wanted to show you what I grew last year, about 100 bulbs. This year, I hope to have about 200.

http://charles.albums.gardenbuddies.com/main.php?g2_itemId=107&g2_page=1

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 07:57 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles,
Most impressive. Garlic is a fun plant to grow. You do a good job. I don't even mulch the plants, and they thrive. In the supermarkets I have seen garlic from China, which seems rather strange, since it grows so readily in most parts of NA.

I used the last bulbs from 2006 year yesterday with the Easter turkey. Apparently I gave too many bulbs to my Italian neighbor, but it is hard not to show off. In 2007/2008 I will plant more. I just counted the plants and there are 40, last year I only had about 25.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html
Durgan.

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Euphorbphreak  Send Euphorbphreak a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:44 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Very useful information, thanks! This is my first year trying garlic. I assume the curing, etc. would be the same for Elephant garlic? I have 8 huge plants coming along very nicely now, and the stuff in the store is outrageously expensive, so I'm really looking forward to the harvest.

David, the other CA, 10/17

My Garden
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 04:57 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Man, all these garlic growers. It is going to be a great summer.

Greg may have some advice, David, but I have never cured Elephant (allium ampeloprasum), less a garlic than a leek. From what I understand, given its bulk, curing takes longer than "conventional" garlic, itself taking about a month. These large bulbs are not strong, but very sweet and, in my opinion, best used fresh in the kitchen.

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

Spuddigger  Send Spuddigger a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:58 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

It's nice to see what garlic looks like straight out of the ground. I rather overbought on garlic last year, so I have probably 60-70 plants growing, of several different varieties (Bogytar, Applegate, Transylvanian, Silverskin, Simonetti, and some others I can't remember off hand). This is my first time for growing garlic.

Spuddigger - CO, Zone "5"

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 06:57 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks Charles, I hope my crop looks as good as that monster you're holding! I'm going to experiment then...use some fresh and cure some, and see if there's any difference. I enjoy them raw in salads.

My Garden
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 05:41 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

And do not forget to roast some of those big boys, David. They have a wonderfully delicious mild garlic flavor.

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 02:59 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I counted last weekend, and I have at least 100 garlic plants growing. There might be some more that will pop up later. It appears to be doing quite well.

Now I have to gather recipes and tips on preserving. I want to pickle some, and maybe dry some others.

And a roaster. Have to get a garlic roaster.

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 07:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I do think they have said this Sunday night at 9 EST is "BATTLE GARLIC" On food network.

Mimi - PaOhio, Zone "5a"

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 09:45 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have only 7 varieties this year plus some elephant garlic. They are just about to break ground in force, I think as I see a few leaves begining to poke out.

I'm growing:

Killarny Red
Music
Metechi
Persian Star
Applegate
Pyong Vang Korean
Siberian

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 04:38 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Ok, the snow is gone, the leaves are removed and I see garlic!!!

-----------------------------------------------
I'm proud to support Gardenbuddies.com
because nothing this great could be free.
Become a Supporting Member Today

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

My Garden
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 04:54 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Great! They look nice and healthy!

I am proud to support Garden Buddies
Become a Supporting Member Today

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

Valia  Send Valia a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:49 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I'm proud to support Gardenbuddies.com
Contribute Today

Valia - WA (summer) UT (winter), Zone "5a and 9a"

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:35 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Beautiful sight..and beautiful soil there! When will these be ready? I planted my garlic last October--they were up in November--and now I'm just removing the first bloom stalks that are showing up. I read that the foliage will just start yellowing and then flop over, and that's time to harvest. Is that the case?

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 01:52 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

David,

Yes, you will see the leaves begin to die back. The general rule of thumb is to harvest when you have only 2-3 green leaves left. You can pull one then and see how big the bulb is. If you leave it in the ground until it all dies back the skin will likely split and the bulbs tend to spoil.

I usually clean off my garlic with lots of water, trim the roots, and lay them out on a screen in a well ventillated space not in direct sunlight. You will want to cure it like this until the outer husks become dry - about 3 weeks. You can eat it at this time though. If you have softneck varieties, you can braid them. Hardneck ones are difficult to braid. I usually just trim the top stalk off after drying and store them in a cool dark place allowing them to breath.

By the way, I hope you have taken advantage of the garlic scapes and stir fried them! They are delicious.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Jak3  Send Jak3 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 03:55 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi all! I am only growing Music this year, in a raised bed. They were planted last year at Thanksgiving and well mulched with about 8" of leaves. They are now un-mulched and growing well. We love fresh garlic. People here tell me it is a waste of my small garden space because garlic is so cheap - but it isn't the cost, it's the quality! I have a terrific recipe for garlic jelly. We wouldn't dream of roasting a chicken without it! I'll find it and post it on the Recipes forum.

Jak3 - Ontario, Zone "4/5"

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 03:21 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks Greg, that's very helpful! And yes, I did save the scapes and stir-fried them, but nothing as delicious as what you showed! Very tasty. I don't tend to throw much away from the garden.

Jak, I had never heard of garlic jelly. What a great idea. I look forward to it.

Supporting Member

My Weather
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:03 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Kewl! They have battle Garlic on right now on foodnetwork, Missed it the first time around..

Mimi - PaOhio, Zone "5a"

Shrades  Send Shrades a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 04:25 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hey Charles,

As always your pics are amazing. Do you have a source for the rare and heirloom garlic? I'd love to get my hands on some.

Thanks,
Shrader

Shrades - California, Zone "10"

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:19 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Shrades,

For the last few years, I have purchased my organic garlic from

http://thegarlicstore.com/index.cgi/grow.html

They have an excellent selection of seed/planting stock and have yielded great results in my garden. Be sure to check out their sampler packs.

By the way, welcome to GB!

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 07:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks for the info and the welcome, Charles. I'm new to gardening as well, but really having fun with my little plot.

My Weather
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 05:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles, your garlic 2006 garden is an inspiration! I planted about 15 garlic bulbs this spring. I have to be honest, I'm not even sure what variety they are (I'm green and learning as I go). Now that I know a little more, I'd love to plant some of the heirloom or rare variety. I saw that Durgan told someone in another thread that it was too late to plant garlic for bulbs. I live in Los Angeles, Zone 10, is it too late for me as well? We don't really get frost.

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 01:26 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

That's where I got my garlic from, The Garlic Store. They all look like they're doing fine. I'm trying to find some information on keeping it, other than braiding it and putting it in a root cellar (which I don't have). I plan on pickling some, if I can find recipes. I've bought pickled, flavored garlic, and I love it. I also wondered if there was a way of mincing and drying it, or making garlic juice or garlic pulp and keeping that in the refrigerator.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com