Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Making Horseradish Condiment 2006.

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Making Horseradish Condiment 2006. « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 03:42 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

http://xrl.us/rys6

The roots were dug completely from the plant, which is a perennial, only the side roots were utilized. The roots were washed and lightly scraped, then cut in small pieces and put in the blender with sufficient vinegar to make a smooth paste. It is important to complete the process relatively soon after picking the roots, since they get woody if allowed to dry too much.

The odour is mouth-watering, and the fumes make the eyes water. Nothing attacks the mixture in the jar, kept in the refrigerator. I have kept similar for over a year and it is still high quality.

Two strong side roots were planted in pots for next year's plants. I treat the plant as an annual since the roots can be tough off the perennial, and the plant grows sufficiently in Zone 5 for good quality condiment. Apparently the plant can be invasive if the climate is ideal.
Durgan.

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com