Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Garden View and Planting Peas 22 April 2007.

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Garden View and Planting Peas 22 April 2007. « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 10:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

22 April 2007 Zone 5. http://gardenpeas.notlong.com/

Pictures of the Garden with emphasis on the method of planting peas. First the row is rototilled, a layer of toilet paper is put down and wet, then the peas are spaced carefully, then another layer of toilet paper is put over the seeds, then a layer of sand it placed over the row, then watered.

I use sandy soil for covering, since it does not coagulate (a hard crust forming) like a clay soil does after a rain. The sand absorbs the shock of the rain, and prevents disturbing the seeds until they germinate. The sand is more soil than actual sandy grains.

So far this spring I have planted fifty potatoes, onion bulbs, radishes, beets, carrots and peas. This is Zone 5 and most people would consider this too early, but from past experience I find these vegetables can withstand the frosts encountered over the next month. If the temperature goes too low I will cover with a large pool tarp, which I have available.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 01:08 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

What a fantastic garden bed you have. I wish I had so much space! It's been either too cold or too wet to plant for me yet. I'm hoping next week to get my cold-hardy seeds in the ground.

-----------------------------------------------
I'm proud to support Gardenbuddies.com
because nothing this great could be free.
Contribute Today
-----------------------------------------------

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 02:17 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

GOSH!~ I have to echo Greg..I WANT A VEGGIE GARDEN like that :-) So far I have sowed 3 kinds of radish, 3 kinds of lettuce and some turnips. Teeny tiny rows of each. I will also stuff in tomatoes, corn, carrots, cucumbers and probably a pepper or two. I will live vicariously through your large plot though. Thanks for all of your interesting and informative posts.

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

Periwinkle  Send Periwinkle a private message!

My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 10:11 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I'm enjoying seeing your garden Durgan. Hope you will post other photos so we can see it in its Prime during havest time!

Denise--Northern Wisconsin, Z3b Click to hear a voice greeting from Periwinkle

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com