Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
How Long Do Seeds Last?

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » How Long Do Seeds Last? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shrades  Send Shrades a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:40 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This is my first year with a vegetable garden and, I have to admit, I got really excited and bought way too many seeds. Will the unused seeds be good next year, or will I have to buy a whole new batch? Thanks.

Shrades - California, Zone "10"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 07:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

It depends. Seeds can last for decades if stored properly. It also depends on the kind of seed. I don't know much of the details, but you may want to do some searching on the internet for "seed savers". You should find information about how to store your seeds for next year. I think keeping them one year should not hurt the germination rate too much.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Cindym  Send Cindym a private message!

Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 09:11 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I keep seeds in paper envelopes inside metal cookie tins in the fridge. Most are still viable after 4-5 years. I don't think I've ever pushed it further than that, but I'm sure you could.

Cindym - LA, Zone "8b"

Mimi  Send Mimi a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 10:10 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

"they "say that the seeds in the pyramids have grown too... but I have had troubles with packets of seeds from brand new fresh to 5 years old. Best of luck to you, its always an adventure . Part of the thrill of gardening don't ya think? I have some seeds I have been carting around for years , maybe this will be the year they get planted , if I can remember where they are.....

Mimi - PaOhio, Zone "5a"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 09:34 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I found this information on a Montana extension service web site:

Table 4. Average number of years seeds may retain good viability when properly stored

Vegetables Years
Asparagu 3
Bean 3
Beet 4
Broccoli 5
Brussels sprouts 5
Cabbage 5
Carrot 3
Cauliflower 5
Celery 5
Chinese Cabbage 5
Collard 5
Cucumber 5
Eggplant 5
Endive 5
Kale 5
Kohlrabi 5
Leek 1

Vegetables Years

Lettuce 5
Muskmelon 5
Mustard 4
Onion 1
Parsley 2
Parsnip 1
Pea 3
Pepper 4
Pumpkin 4
Radish 5
Rutabaga 5
Spinach 5
Squash 5
Sweet Corn 1
Tomato 4
Turnip 5
Watermelon 5

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Shrades  Send Shrades a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 01:52 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks for the responses -- and thanks for that great list, Greg! Ibought way too many seeds this year. I'll put them in the fridge for next year. Thanks.

Shrades - California, Zone "10"

Potager  Send Potager a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 05:45 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

It's a good list Greg provided. In my experience many seeds can be viable even longer. For example tomato, pepper and cucumber.

Most important is that the seeds are stored under dry conditions. If the seeds aren't dry, they will be spoiled, even if they are stored in a cold place.

Potager - Denmark, Zone "7"

Big_bwana  Send Big_bwana a private message!

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:59 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

In a glass mason jar, dark cupboard, with a package of silica gel / desiccant, just save the packages you find in household items like rice, leather shoes, dried meats, ( NOT OXYGEN absorber packages in commercial beef jerky packages this is a Iron powder,vermiculite and Water ) and toss them in a 250 deg oven for an hour or two, to dry them out real good (( most pellets will change color to white / clear when done ))

And you'll get years I have some seeds from 10 years back ( mainly tomatoes, and salad fixings )and they are fine

Big_bwana - Alberta, Zone "3a"

Oldiebutgoodie  Send Oldiebutgoodie a private message!

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:23 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I freeze my unused seed in Zip-loc bags with considerable success. I always buy cucumber seed in bulk - enough for at least 3 years (my Scottish background is showing) and I've never had a problem with vaiability.

Oldiebutgoodie - Ontario, Zone "5"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com