Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Living wreath

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » Living wreath « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Moniquenac  Send Moniquenac a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:41 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Plant Forum

A simple living wreath made with a purchased grapevine wreath with chicks and hens, a nest, three eggs and two dragonflies.

Moniquenac - Ontario, Zone "?"

Loretta  Send Loretta a private message!

Supporting Member

Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 04:35 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Very pretty! What did you do to provide for the hens and chicks?

Loretta - NJ, Zone "6"

Marvie  Send Marvie a private message!

Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 11:08 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oh that is so pretty! I was wondering the same thing about the Hens and Chicks. Wonderful idea, very creative!

Marvie - Virginia, Zone "8"

Moniquenac  Send Moniquenac a private message!

Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 06:00 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I simply dug the hens and chicks out of my garden with some soil attached (it stuck to the roots), then I placed the plants in-between the spaces of the grapevine wreath. Once I had that done I added wet sphagnum moss around the soil and plants to hold them in place. The moss works really well at holding everything together. If you have larger hens and chicks you can put a small string or wire to hold it in place then hide the wire with more moss. I have been making these for my front door (full, hot sun) for a few years now and they always live. I either leave it to the rain to take care of or simply spray it with a spray bottle. They are rock garden so they require very little water.
I wired the nest and eggs and dragonflies on after all the plants were in place

Moniquenac - Ontario, Zone "?"

Malgorzata  Send Malgorzata a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 06:56 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Very pretty Monique!

Malgorzata - Fukuoka-Kyushu, Zone "8/9"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com