Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Rustic Tuteur

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » Rustic Tuteur « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marvie  Send Marvie a private message!

Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 12:36 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I saw the thread the other day about these, and loved the idea so I made one!

I was too impatient to wait for my husband to come home to get the drill and screws to do it properly, so I used what I had handy... fishing line and yarn! I don't know if the thing will hold together more than a season, but we'll see I guess! It's not the best of work, but for being done in a couple of hours and no planning, I'm happy with it!

I used dead sticks from some trees out back, and smaller ones from an evergreen of some sort that we trimmed. I started with fishing line to hold it together, but I was worried the knots wouldn't stay tied so I grabbed some yarn from my stash. Acrylic yarn should hold up ok for a while I think. I even used a crochet hook to pull the yarn ends back inside the wraps (after I took that picture) So I finally found a way to integrate my love of fiber with my love of gardening ;)

I have a pile of branches and sticks out back now, just waiting for the rain to stop so I can build another, larger one. I'll have to get hubby to let me use his drill (or get him to do it) for that one though because I know yarn won't hold these bigger branches together well.

Backstory on the drill thing:
I'm not "allowed" to use hammers or drills, though the rule is more indoors than outdoors I think... this is because once when hubby was out to sea I attempted to hang pictures by myself and in the process put *ahem* lots of holes in the walls which he later had to fill when we moved, so since then I have been forbidden to use things that make holes in walls lol. Works out ok though, because he can't complain when I have to ask him to hammer or drill things ;)

Anyway, thanks for the great idea!

Marvie - Virginia, Zone "8"

Sunnyday2day  Send Sunnyday2day a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 01:13 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Wow, good job! I'd like to see it when your vines are growing now. Do you like clematis?

Sunnyday2day - Tanya-Michigan, Zone "5"

Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 01:59 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I love them =) I found one growing in a window box after we moved in. I have no idea what type she is, but I've seen a few tiny buds on her. I put some stakes with fishing line wrapped between them in her box, which seems to have made her very happy. I'd like to plant her somewhere, I just haven't settled on the right spot yet, and not sure when the best time to do so would be. I have much to learn!

I dont know what sort of MG's are in the front either, wild or purposefully planted? No clue. So I guess we'll see what happens with them.

Jims_wsw  Send Jims_wsw a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 02:57 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

If your window box clem doesn't have a trellis over the window, it is probably a non-vining type integrifolia. If it is, I am sure it would love scrambling through your short tuteur.

Or it might be a low climbing "patio" clem, which the planters wanted to drape down from the box. I don't know if one would drape, as I don't think any clem would overwinter here that far from the ground.

Marie

Jims_wsw Maine zone 5a

Moniquenac  Send Moniquenac a private message!

Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Marvie, you are certainly resourceful! I thought I was the only one that made 5 holes for each picture frame! I am still allowed to use "the tools" but I must say I just hang the pictures and don't say anything. Is your husband in the forces?

Monique

Moniquenac - Ontario, Zone "?"

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 10:45 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks =) I actually just finished a much larger one, this time I used branches hubby cut from some trees that were rubbing on our wood fence.

We've had pretty high winds the past two days, which knocked over the small one, but the big one seems unfazed by them.

Heh, hubby thinks they're ugly, and maybe they are, but I enjoyed making them both. I may have to begin collecting branches and stacking them up, so I can get a better variety. Using what I had laying around I wasn't able to be very picky about what went where etc.

Yes, hubby is in the Navy. We've just come off a three year shore duty tour in Germany, now he's back on a ship and will be starting to go out to sea again before too much longer. I used to redecorate the house every time he went out, now I think it'll be redoing the garden ;)

Moniquenac  Send Moniquenac a private message!

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:35 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well I guess bigger is better, love that one. Someday I'll try my hand at making one, right now my son is keeping me super busy...good busy.

Did you try to make one of those living wreaths yet, very easy. The first one I ever made I made the grapevine wreath myself (as apposed to buying one) I just soaked the vines in water to make them soft and then made the wreath.

Germany is so pretty! Have you ever heard of the Nijmegen marches in Holland? I am assuming you visited all the surrounding country during your posting to Germany. It is a 100 mile march through the countryside of The Netherlands also very beautiful.

Have a great day.

Monique

Moniquenac - Ontario, Zone "?"

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:12 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I haven't tried the wreath yet. My front door is in total shade so the hens and chicks wouldn't work for me... but I have filed the idea away as a great gift for friendds and family =)

I did go to Holland, but only saw Den Hague and a bit of Amsterdam. That's actually the only place I went, we chose to pay off bills and save money to buy our house rather than traveling. On the one hand it felt like a wasted opportunity, but every time we paid off another bill it reaffirmed our commitment. Paid off too, because here we are with our very first home =) It was worth it!

Mimi  Send Mimi a private message!

Supporting Member

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 11:09 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

KEWL!!!!!!!! Glad to of helped. (was serenitybench once upon a time)

Mimi - PaOhio, Zone "5a"

Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:54 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well, I got it all figured out. The tall one is in the back, along the fence, where I will plant pole beans to grow up it. I'll put some bush beans on either side of it as well. I had to build a new bed to accomplish this (darn the luck *g*) so I gave Lasagna a try. I'm hoping it works out well, because if so, come fall I'll be adding a lot of new beds with this method!

The small one is in front, where hopefully the MG's will grow on it. I know it's way to small for them, but I'm hoping a can keep them under control to some degree. They are volunteers, and rather than keep plucking them, I decided to just let some of them go ahead and grow. If I can't keep them in line, I figure I can take fishing line and create an invisible trellis of sorts up to some hooks under the roof (I assume those are there for Christmas lights) or get hubby to buy me a trellis if he doesn't like that idea ;)

Oh! And my best friend likes this tuteur so much she's asked me to make her one! If only I had some branches left over lol.

Mimi  Send Mimi a private message!

Supporting Member

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 03:01 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have often thought of making a little tiny one.... to put in a hanging basket, to let something vine up it. They are really easy to make aren't they? My friend that first showed this to me uses it for her roses to climb up.

Mimi - PaOhio, Zone "5a"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com