Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Veggie questions

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Veggie questions « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Newbie_gardener  Send Newbie_gardener a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 06:31 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

#1 I only have limited space in which to protect my veggies from the deer. So I will have to risk some of them! Which of these do they really like? :) Last year they ate my tomatoes and peppers. :(

Yellow squash
Zuchinni
cucumber
honeydew
cantalope
peppers
tomatoes

#2 I bought some lemon cucumber seeds to try. I have never tried these before. The package says they can be "staked or trellised"...does that mean they are climbers? If I give it a trellis to climb...does the fruit hold on well?

Thanks!

Newbie_gardener - WI, Zone "5a"

Rain1950  Send Rain1950 a private message!

My Time
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 06:53 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Many of the squash, melons and cukes have spines on the leaves which they do not like.

The Lemon cuke will take to a trellis and since the cukes don't get large; they support well. If you've never grown them before, you are in for a treat; one of my fav's.

Rain1950 - Washington, Zone "8"

Mwvegetarian  Send Mwvegetarian a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 07:22 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Can anyone recommend a zucchini plant that does not require a lot of real estate? I have not been able able to find any that grow more verticle than horizontal at my local garden centers (near Chicago IL) and big box stores (Walmart, Kmart, Home Depot, etc.) Thanks.

Mwvegetarian - Illinois, Zone "5"

Abigailc1973  Send Abigailc1973 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 01:43 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I grow almost all my veggies in containers but I saw an article in mary janes farm that seemed to be a lot better of a way than I'm doing. They grew 1 zuchinni plant in a plastic file box. They put 2 bricks in the bottom & cut a drainhole in the side of the box the same height as the bricks, then they put a 15" piece of 2" pvc pipe sticking straight up the side of the box. then they put a square of 1/4" hardware cloth and a square of 2"x4" twisted hog wire cut to the size of the bottom of the container, then they planted the zuchinni. You water through the pvc pipe so there's no soil compaction. I don't know how bad the humidity gets up there where you're at but down here we have to watch out during the really humid times, the sooty mold seems worse. I think the pvc watering could help on that too. A couple of these file boxes should be able to keep someone in zuchinni.

Abigailc1973 - florida, Zone "9"

Stephie  Send Stephie a private message!

Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 12:24 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I know there are zucchini that are compact growers..I think Eight Ball is one of them...and the patti pans are pretty compact growers too.

Stephie

Stephie  Send Stephie a private message!

Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 12:26 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

BTW..deer used to pull my cukes and melon plants up and then just leave them...now I have a fenced garden...however, use some blood meal around the plants...they are heavy feeders so won't mind. Deer hate blood meal.

Stephie

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com