Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Pole Beans 2007

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Pole Beans 2007 « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:18 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This year I am growing five different varieties.

Plant Forum
Marvel of Venice - a fine yelolow climbing Romano and famous Italian heirloom with large, sweet, juicy, 8-9" long, 3/4" wide, flat pods borne on vigorous vines. These are the more vigorous and flavorful black-seeded variety. Highly recommended over the white seeded strain for quality of bean and flavor. 54 days.

Plant Forum
Blauhilde - for eating fresh. This Heirloom German bean has beautiful purple pods, easy to see when picking. They are green when cooked and have a delicious flavor. This is the finest of all the purple beans available! Resistant to bean Mosaic Virus 1. 64 days.

Plant Forum
Supermarconi - by far the finest climbing Romano bean in the Marconi line, from Cuneo Italy. Absolutely the largest at 22cmx25mm in size. Tender and famous heirloom with wonderful flavor. 77 days.

Plant Forum
Stortino di Trento - one of the rarest of the Italian beans, and most rare of the Anellino type "Shrimp Beans". Speckled with high production and wonderful taste. Largest of the Anellino beans at 14 cm in length. 75 days.

Plant Forum
Black Seeded Blue Lake - This vigourous green pole bean is one of the best tasting beans around. Heavy yields of long, attractive beans are easy to pick and early yielding. 65 days.

It is interesting to see what some of these seeds actually look like.

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

Mimi  Send Mimi a private message!

Supporting Member

My Weather
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:30 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Interesting all right. Huh. It's amazing how things can look one way and then turn into a new discovery.
Best of luck with those beans.
and oh!
Wash those hands before petting Harry & George.

Mimi - PaOhio, Zone "5a"

Euphorbphreak  Send Euphorbphreak a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:41 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks for the tour! This year is my first growing beans, and am starting with Romano beans and a bush Purple Queen in a 3-Sisters combination with corn and squash. I hope mine turn out half as good as yours.

David, the other CA, 10/17

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 09:59 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You will find beans easy to grow, David, and well worth the garden space, given how much they produce. I planted a lot this year, hoping to do plenty of canning.

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

Marvie  Send Marvie a private message!

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:29 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I'm growing beans for the first time too, Kentucky Wonder pole and bush. I just planted out the bush seedlings, and I'm watching the poles get going, hopefully can transplant in a week or so. I'm really looking forward to fresh beans this summer! I'd love to be able to freeze some for winter eating, though I'm not sure how many plants I should have for that plus summer eating lol. I've got 15 pole seedlings and 6 bush seedlings growing now. For a family of three, I'm hoping that'll do!

Marvie - Virginia, Zone "8"

Cindym  Send Cindym a private message!

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:59 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles, I never knew there were yellow Romanos. Is this your first year growing them? Where did you get the seeds?

I grew the purple bush beans one season. Definitely easier to pick than the green ones.

Cindym - LA, Zone "8b"

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:04 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi, Cindy! Yes, this is my first time growing yellow Romanos. I bought seed through http://www.gourmetseed.com/snap_bean_seed.0.html

;-)

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:10 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Let me know how you like them. I may order some for my fall garden. Oh, and thanks for the link! I bookmarked the catalog.

Cindym - LA, Zone "8b"

Supporting Member

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:18 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oh my goodness......the green beans are rollin in. Who here freezes them! ??? And do share a recipe if ya care to.

Mimi - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:37 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Mimi, how are the yellow Romanos? I froze green beans a couple years, but found they were really only good for recipes that cooked for a while like beans, potatoes and ham (or bacon), cause they lose that firm texture when frozen.

Roasted green beans are great! You can add fresh garlic, fresh ginger, herbs, or just keep 'em plain and drizzle the whole beans with a little olive oil, sprinkle with S&P. Roast at 400° for about 10 minutes.

This is one of my favorites:

Fresh Beans with Cherry Tomatoes

Clip the stem end off the beans then steam for about 4-5 minutes until crisp tender. Meanwhile, saute halved cherry tomatoes in melted butter for a couple minutes. Add S&P to taste. Toss with beans and fresh basil chiffonade. Then add a sprinkle of flavored vinegar or a little lemon zest and serve.

Cindym - Louisiana, Zone "8b"

Supporting Member

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:06 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Cindym All the beans he planted are just great ! Had some last night with pesto he had made the year before. Your roasted sound really yummo ! And we do have a slew of fresh basil too.

Mimi - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

Malgorzata  Send Malgorzata a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

What an interesting and colorful crop Charles!

Malgorzata - Fukuoka-Kyushu, Zone "8/9"

Lovinlife  Send Lovinlife a private message!

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 07:51 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles wrote on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 08:05 am:

hoping to do plenty of canning

It's about time to start, isn't it? I love canning, and somehow it speaks "home" to me.

Lovinlife - Utah, Zone "5"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com