Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Garden Planted 24 May 2007

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Garden Planted 24 May 2007 « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 03:09 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

http://Planted2.notlong.com 24 May 2007 Garden Planted Pictures are annotated.

There are a few new vegetable plants this year, Joi Choi, Kohl Rabi, Ground Cherry, Root Parsley, Okra, and Artichoke.

The new flowers are Chillean Glory Vine, Sperling's Lotus (Romneya coulteri).

I put two tobacco plants in to see how they grow, and some Diviner's Sage, which I got from Richters.

All I need now for success is some good weather.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 03:17 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Awesome setup, Durgan! You are amazingly organized.

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

Euphorbphreak  Send Euphorbphreak a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 04:10 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Amazing garden. Would that I could grow so many different vegetables! The care and passion in your planting and upkeep is admirable. I think the hanging buckets of tomatoes is very cool, and a very clever design.

There's a misidentification with the Romneya coulteri. Romneya coulteri is a native California plant also called the "Matilija poppy". It grows in running clumps in winter and reaches about 6-8 ft in spring and blooms with egg-like scented flowers, and is blooming now in my garden. It has very broad, lobed leaves and bristly thick stalks. What you are growing appears to be a vine with very narrow leaves, but I don't recognize it at all. I wonder what it is?

David, the other CA, 10/17

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 08:16 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Euphorbphreak wrote on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 02:16 am:

There's a misidentification with the Romneya coulteri. Romneya coulteri is a native California plant also called the "Matilija poppy". It grows in running clumps in winter and reaches about 6-8 ft in spring and blooms with egg-like scented flowers, and is blooming now in my garden. It has very broad, lobed leaves and bristly thick stalks. What you are growing appears to be a vine with very narrow leaves, but I don't recognize it at all. I wonder what it is?

Very Interesting! Somebody sent me the seed package, and that was the name. I now have it in my hand. The picture on the package of the leaf is rather obscure. Wait until the flower appears and then we can have another go at identification.

Thanks for the information.

My balloon has been deflated a little. I took great pains in germinating this plant, and caring for the same. The vine is doing well, so I expect a flower soon.

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 12:05 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I'm sure it will be beautiful in any case! Just the fact that you got seeds and germinated them is enough to ID it as something else. Romneya coulteri is a typical "fire ecology" plant. The seeds won't germinate at all unless they have been through a fire. The usual directions for germination is to pile pine needles over them and set the pile on fire, sit back and hope. Here, you can only buy rooted cuttings as a result.

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 07:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Euphorbphreak wrote on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 10:11 am:

The usual directions for germination is to pile pine needles over them and set the pile on fire, sit back and hope.

That is exactly what I did to get the seeds to germinate. Burnt spruce cones and some foliage, prayed to Jove, and muttered some curse words. Lo and behold they seeds germinated. I tried last year to no avail. Now I am keenly interested to see what the plant actually produces.

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:54 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Euphorbphreak wrote on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 02:16 am:

There's a misidentification with the Romneya coulteri.

10 June 2007 My "lotus" turned out to be a Passion Flower. It flowered today. Anyway I am relatively happy that a passion flower was produced from seed. You were so right, many thanks.

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 01:46 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Durgan, thanks for the update. At least Passion Flower is a beautiful plant, though I don't know if it has the exquisite scent of a Romneya!

Here's a pic of one of my patches just going into bloom. It's about 6 feet tall.

and a closeup of the flower

You can see why it's called the "Fried Egg Plant"!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com