Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Artichokes

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Artichokes « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mariae  Send Mariae a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 01:36 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Every spring-summer some artichokes usually grow up in a field close where I go for walking. No more grows in the small field, only grass.

Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Mariae - Europe, Zone "?"

Euphorbphreak  Send Euphorbphreak a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:20 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Nice shots! I planted some artichokes this year--they love the climate here--and had 3 on Saturday, and 2 on Sunday. Where the 3rd one was, only a perfectly round gopher hole existed. They must like them too.

David, the other CA, 10/17

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 06:16 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

David, do you think it is easy to cultivate artichokes for a lazy keeper of a vegetable garden? Because I am thinking in plant them for the next year.

I am so lazy that only plant cucumbers, courgettes and tomatoes for summer. Well it is also because I have a big garden for taking care of (7000 m2) and many flowers.

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:34 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Beautiful plants. I wish I could grow them here. I found this artichoke growing in the botanical gardens in Paris.

Plant Forum

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 06:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Lovely colors, Greg. Thanks for sharing.
I am thinking in having for dinner some ones (that I bought, of course)

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:33 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I am trying four plants for the first time in Zone 5. They are now in the garden about ten inches high and very healthy. They were started in the greenhouse in March. Anyway, I won't know until August if the experiment is successful.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 08:07 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oooooh my gooooodness!!! Durgan I'am really very impressed by your marvelous garden and veg'garden....

I need to learn a lot from you. What an outstanding organization!. I would like to have it 10 per cent so well.

Do you have time for using the deck-chair with so many work, Durgan?. I feel myself too lazy later I've seeing your exceptional garden. You have also a big yard... splendid!

Euphorbphreak  Send Euphorbphreak a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 02:21 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Mariae, even the laziest gardener should be able to grow artichokes. The variety "Imperial Star" will bear the first year, and the seed will come true. Artichokes are Mediterranean natives, so need little summer water, so if you get summer rain, you shouldn't have to do anything except watch out for gophers!

David, the other CA, 10/17

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 07:34 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

David, then I will try...thanks.

Potager  Send Potager a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 04:06 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I tried "Vert de Laon" and "Green Globe" which are both easy to grow and suitable for the danish climate. And artichoke is certainly very decorative: http://www.potager.dk/index.php?id=16&la=en

Potager - Denmark, Zone "7"

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 05:39 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I agree with you Potager, very nice one and very good for eating.
Thanks Potager.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com