Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Snake Garlic (Allium sativum)

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Snake Garlic (Allium sativum) « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 09:55 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

http://SerpentG.notlong.com 10 June 2007
Allium sativum
Common Names: garlic,hardneck garlic, rocambole.
Family: Amaryllidaceae (amaryllis Family)

The snake seed pod (snake or scape)was removed today. Removing the snakes allows plant energy to produce slightly larger cloves. The snakes should be removed before they straighten out, which they will do after a few days of growth.

The plants will be pulled about 5 July 2007.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 11:49 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Your garlic is looking great and is a little bit ahead of mine. I have not seen the garlic scapes yet. I hope you didn't throw those out! Garlic scapes make for fantastic stir fries.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 01:38 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Greg wrote on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 09:55 pm:

I hope you didn't throw those out!

The scapes get utilized. I sometimes eat them like a stick of celery.

Mimi  Send Mimi a private message!

Supporting Member

My Weather
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 09:08 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Greg....
I'll let my blondness show......What is a Garlic Scape? I know Cloves & Buds & Pesto.

Mimi - PaOhio, Zone "5a"

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:11 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Here's some from last year for you, Mimi! I am close to harvesting them.

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

Mimi  Send Mimi a private message!

Supporting Member

My Weather
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:13 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You Men of Mac!
You are garlic guru's too.

Mimi - PaOhio, Zone "5a"

Jak3  Send Jak3 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:37 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi everyone! I just noticed my garlic scapes today, but there is something wrong. Many of the scapes have a deposit looking a bit like sawdust. When the scape is split open, there is a tiny little larva in there. I have removed all affected scapes and have cut down a little bit lower into the stem to see if there are any worms lower than the scapes, but I have not found any (thank goodness). I think this means the garlic bulbs are o.k. I started over to a neighbour to see if her garlic was affected, and met her coming to see me with the same problem. I assume these are the larvae of some kind of borer or maggot. Have you experienced this, and, if so, have you managed to control or eradicate it?

Jak3 - Ontario, Zone "4/5"

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:43 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Julie, I have never seen anything like this with garlic before. I think you've done the right thing though. I would watch the plants carefully for any more signs of "sawdust" or other damage. Hopefully you've nipped this one in the bud.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 07:58 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Did you take any pictures, Julie?

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

My Weather
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 08:45 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I didn't think to take any pictures of my garlic, but my neighbour has the same problem so I'll try to get a photo of his.

My Weather
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 09:54 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This is about the best I could do with my very limited camera.

Plant Forum

I am not sure what to do about this problem - as all three of us in my neighbourhood are experiencing this, and we obtained our seed garlic from different sources, it is something that has arrived here somehow - likely a fly or moth?

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:56 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Strange. I looked all over and could not find anything exactly like it.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/selectnewpest.onion-and-garlic.html

Did you soak your cloves in isopropyl alcohol for about a minute prior to planting your cloves?

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

My Weather
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 01:34 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

No Charles I didn't presoak them, but I will next time! I checked the same site as you did as well as several others, and found nothing. I pulled up one of the bulbs and it looked fine, so I just removed all of the scapes and left the plants to continue growth. If I find out anything, I will post.

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 02:11 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Could it be possible that you have squash vine borer larvae in your garlic? I can't find any information about them infesting garlic. But I suppose it could be possible.

http://www.cooperseeds.com/graphics/squash-borer-larva.jpg

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 02:22 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Greg might be right. I do not know. Since your neighbors also have it, I doubt it had anything to do with not soaking, but that is a good practice. I will ask and look around.

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 09:53 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Apparently there is some kind of little brown moth that is invading Southern abd Eastern Ontario this year - local garlic producers are calling it the "garlic moth" and this seems to be what I have. I did an extremely light dusting of rotenone and presto! dead grubs. Of course I will not be harvesting any scapes this year. I pulled a bulb to check it out, and it was perfect, so whatever this is, I guess it just uses the emerging scapes as host...

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:05 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Good to have the mystery solved, Julie! I am glad to hear that your bulbs were not harmed.

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

Spuddigger  Send Spuddigger a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 02:58 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I harvested some of my garlic yesterday and ate one of the scapes. I'll get to the rest this weekend. They're all turning yellow and falling over, so I guess it's time, although I thought garlic harvesting season was in July.

Perhaps the hot weather sped it up?

I've never heard of a garlic borer. I hope that's not something new that I have to worry about. The flea beetles have killed several plants already, including all of my melon seedlings that I put out, but at least they leave the garlic alone.

The bulbs looked good, that I dug up, but they were much smaller than I thought they'd be. I still can't figure out why that is.

Spuddigger - CO, Zone "5"

Potager  Send Potager a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 03:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Talking about snake garlic....

What do you think about this Rebberger Snake Garlic. It's almost a Garlic pretzel!

Potager - Denmark, Zone "7"

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 09:58 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Chinese Chefs would live the Rebberget Snake Garlic scapes. Truly an amazing producer!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com