Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Flea Beetle

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Flea Beetle « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 08:12 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

http://FleaB.notlong.com 11 June 2006

This 2 to 3 mm long Flea Beetle causes much damage to Radishes, Joi Choi, Rutabago, and Horseradish in my garden. No garden is without these ubiquitous pests. They particularly like radish leaves. The damage is profound when the plants are very small. Spraying with one of various pesticides on a regular basis is probably the best control.

Here is more information about this pest.
http://InfoB.notlong.com

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:36 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I grow many kinds of radish every year, 6 this year alone, and have never experienced them and, with garden food, I really think that it is best to stick to organic pesticides.

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 01:36 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hmm, my radishes still grow just fine even with tiny holes in the leaves. I have never had a crop devastated by flea beetles. I'd much rather lose a couple of radishes than ingest the pesticides.

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Mimi  Send Mimi a private message!

Supporting Member

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 06:32 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

EW! How do you get the pesticides off the food? I am around enough chemicals at work let alone on my food.

Mimi - PaOhio, Zone "5a"

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 06:09 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Quote:EW! How do you get the pesticides off the food?

I suggest the only way is to grow your own. Most commercial vegetables are grown in "cide" heaven to enable the growers to produce saleable produce. Appearance is everything in the fresh produce commercial world.

A few years ago I grew broccoli. To keep ahead of the bugs I had to bathe the plant in "cides". I destroyed the plants rather than eat them, since there is no way one could remove the "cides".

Personally, I view with suspicion any produce on which I cannot remove the outer skin. And then I have lingering doubts about what has the plant ingested?

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 07:08 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Nothing you say is consistent with the truth that the only reason that we do not use harmful chemicals is to eat vegetables that are healthy for us and cause no harm. Please forgive me for saying so, but I would not eat the produce from any such garden, not grown organically. Flowers fine, food, absolutely not.

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

Mimi  Send Mimi a private message!

Supporting Member

My Weather
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 07:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I agree Charles...100%.
Last time I was at the grocery store...it was ya can't eat the bagged spinach.....you can't eat the fish from China all cuz of chemicals and bacteria. I would want to grow things in my garden as safely as I can and be healthy. http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/ofp/ just my opinion.
Greg...aren't you a chemistry prof???

Mimi - PaOhio, Zone "5a"

Spuddigger  Send Spuddigger a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 03:08 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The flea beetles are totally destroying my garden. They killed every single melon plant, some zucchini, and now the brassica across the yard. They're everywhere!

I tried hot pepper wax, diatomaceous earth, ante'd up to Neem oil, and it did nothing.

So finally I started dusting with rotenone. That seems to be holding them at bay. But it rained yesterday and washed it off. By the time I got home, they'd killed another broccoli plant.

So now it's wholesale pyrethrin.

I don't want to put any nonorganic pesticide on my plants. Not on something that I intend to put in my mouth. But is there a way to stop flea beetles without resorting to poisonous chemicals? I don't want to give up my garden!

Spuddigger - CO, Zone "5"

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 10:30 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Charles: It appears to be your nickle. What do you suggest as a solution to the flea beetle problem, when it has taken over one's garden?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com