Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Fruiting Weeping Mulberry Tree.

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Fruiting Weeping Mulberry Tree. « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:04 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Fruiting Weeping Mulberry Tree.

http://fmulberry.notlong.com/ 15 June 2007

This Fruiting Weeping Mulberry Bush is loaded with fruit berries. The quality, quantity and taste are well worth the tedious effort to pick a few. When fully ripe the berries cover the ground beneath the tree. Birds enjoy them.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Bonitoad  Send Bonitoad a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 07:42 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

What am I doing wrong with my Weeping Mulberry Tree?...It's about 10 yrs. old and only had fruit the first couple of yrs. Luckily, my DD lived next door to huge mulberry so I've been harvesting from it ( for several yrs.). This fall the owners cut it down. A friend has started cuttingsbut it will be years before we have any amount to pick....Any tips on my non-fruiting one would be appreciated.....

Bonitoad

My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 01:08 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Bonitoad wrote on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 04:48 am:

Any tips on my non-fruiting one would be appreciated.....

My mulberry bush has only been in the ground for two years. It is in full sun. My experience is very limited, since it produces fruit without input from me. I did remove all the grass about canopy size and mulched with wood chips. I also gave it a bit of water during the fruiting stage.

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5B"

Bonitoad  Send Bonitoad a private message!

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 06:10 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks for posting so quickly.....I have a bulb garden under my tree and it's also on our water system. Maybe I'm pruning it too much.

Bonitoad

Stephie  Send Stephie a private message!

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 02:30 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Are mulberry trees fast growers from seeds? Is the fruit really tasty? Black, white or red?

Stephie - B.C., Zone "8"

My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 06:04 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Stephie wrote on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 11:36 am:

Is the fruit really tasty? Black, white or red?

The fruit is similar to quality blackberries, except smaller, black, tasty, and the quanity is amazing even on an eight foot high tree. They are a bit of a chore to pick, since when ripe they fall easily off the branch, and in the process of picking many fall to the ground.

I usually eat them off the bush for ten or fifteen minutes at periodic intervals. The robins and other birds enjoy them, and some people dislike sharing due to the bird's droppings. A very large tree is messy, since the fruit can be several inches deep under the tree.

I haven't seen any small shoots growing from seed near the main bush. I bought mine from a supplier.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5B"

Stephie  Send Stephie a private message!

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 03:40 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Okay. I'm sold. I'm thinking mulberry wine, mulberry juice, mulberry jam: I think I can handle it. I have a raisin tree that does the same thing--thousands of fruits--so don't mind.

Stephie - B.C., Zone "8"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com