Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
16 June 2007 Vegetable Garden Zone 5.

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » 16 June 2007 Vegetable Garden Zone 5. « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 08:20 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

16 June 2007 Vegetable Garden Zone 5.

http://aejie.notlong.com/ 16 June 2007 Vegetable Garden. Pictures are annotated on lower left.

New plants this year are Celery, Kohl Rabi, Joi Choi, Okra, Artichokes,and Ground Cherry. Radishes are finished. We have eaten a few Beets, Radishes, Spinach, and Ground Cherries. Lettuce is almost ready.

The Colorado Potato Beetle is picked off the potatoes and so far they are under control. Flea Beetles damaged some Radishes, Rutabago, and Joi Choi. For control wood ashes were sprinkled on the plants with mixed success. The White Cabbage Beetle has made its appearance, so the cubits must be checked for eggs daily. The bugs have been manageable this year, and there doesn't seem to be many.

June weather has been very hot, but so far we have had sufficient rain. I have watered some plant as required.
http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Charles  Send Charles a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 05:08 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Are you using the ash alone or using it to absorb your pesticides and, if so on the latter, what pesticides are you using?

Charles - WI, Zone "4b"

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:33 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

So far no pesticides have been used. The idea of the ashes on the plant leaves is to make life miserable for the flea beetle. Next year a few ashes will be put in with the seeds also.

So far I have been picking the potato beetle with some success, but if I was selling the crop it would be very expensive for the labour involved. I am on the second generation young beetles, not mature enough to lay eggs yet. The secret is to really look for the egg clusters, when the over-wintering potato beetle is active. I have 50 plants but the job would be impossible with a much larger field of potatoes.

The cabbage moth will be handled by looking for egg clusters on the cubits and removing them. So far they are only about four flying around. Their larvae do major damage in a short time.
http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com