Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Celery

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Celery « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 01:04 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Celery First of the season.Broccoli,

http://aihoo.notlong.com/ 25 June 2007 Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Celery First of the season.

All three vegetables were grown without any "cides". There is not any trace of insect damage. There are 12 plants of each.

The cauliflower may not produce on all plants because the June weather has been rather hot, and cauliflower will not produce flowering heads if the weather is too hot when maturing. A spring crop is risky on a large scale.

The celery plant is huge and still growing. The inside stalks are normal size now. This was my first effort in growing celery.

Bugs can be a problem, and I suspect commercial growers use a lot of "cides".
http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 02:38 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Beautiful!! I tried broccoli and cauliflower once and it was a disaster. I was thinking I would try again, but plant for a fall crop rather than a early summer one. Any experience with that? I am especially impressed with the celery!!!! I don't think I have ever seen any that look at full at the grocery store. I bet it will taste wonderful.

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 04:37 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

For the Spring crop the plants are put in the ground about 15 April. The plants can take a bit of frost. If they are planted too late, then production is low when the summer heat arrives.

With commercial production the plants are put in the ground about the middle of July. The problem for the home gardener is getting the plants. It is probably necessary to grow your own started indoors about 1 June.

Remember both broccoli and cauliflower are basically cold weather crops. I have never tried the 15 July planting.

This is my second year growing both. Last year June weather was cool, so I had probably a perfect crop of about 12 each. This year June 2007 has been unbearably hot, and I put the plants in late because April was so miserable.

The celery is marvelous and I am awaiting maturity of the plants.
http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Spuddigger  Send Spuddigger a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 03:02 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I put out about a dozen brassica in all, but I was late putting them out, late May. I've lost several, between the heat, the dryness, the wind, the flea beetles, the caterpillars (I guess), and the leaf miners. I keep replacing them, and I guess eventually it'll get to the point where I'll start calling it my fall crop.

They're in new raised beds. I didn't think the bugs would find them so fast. I planted them way across the yard from where I planted them last year because the flea beetles scoured them clean last year.

Spuddigger - CO, Zone "5"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com