Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Leaves on Green Beans dying!

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Leaves on Green Beans dying! « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marvie  Send Marvie a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 05:05 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I posted this in Pests and Diseases but got no replies so I'm going to try here...

Recently the leaves on my Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans have started shriveling up. Then they get crunchy. It's happening to more and more leaves and it's got me concerned.

I've got them planted in a Lasagna bed, along with about 8 bush bean plants. The bush beans don't seem to be affected by this (yet.)

I water regularly, and it had rained the night before I took these pictures. I haven't fertilized them. I built the bed and planted the plants in it a few weeks later (started seeds in containers) the bush beans went in first, followed by the pole beans a few weeks after that. I also have some Glads and a couple of sunflowers in there, the sunflowers are growing well and the glads came up days after I planted the bulbs. I tried putting baby basil plants in there but they weren't happy (too much shade from the beans I figured) but everything else is growing like crazy.

The plants have continued to grow, and I've seen a few flower buds. Assuming these grow beans, will they be ok to eat? Not all of the plants seem to have this problem, but the couple that do are all twined in/around the ones that don't.

Does anyone know what this is? And what I should do?

Marvie - Virginia, Zone "8"

Karma  Send Karma a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 07:13 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Marvie, I'm not to sure. Have you tried removing all the leaves that are doing this and toss them in the garbage. If it continues I would pull the whole bunch, add some compost and plant direct, you still have time.

Karma - PNW, Zone "Z-Denial "

Marvie  Send Marvie a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 01:44 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have been taking off the bad leaves, which seems to help for a couple of days, but then new ones show up.

I'm also noticing some yellow leaves with black spots at the bottom of some of the plants both the pole and bush types. It reminds me somewhat of how tomato plants will loose the bottom leaves as they grow, only the bean's yellow leaves get the black spots.

I'm thinking I might just plant a few more of the bush types in other areas where I have empty space in case the pole beans have to go or don't produce much. I'd do more pole beans elsewhere but I don't have anything else for them to climb.

Kinda bums me out that I might loose some or all of my pole beans, but at least the bush beans are producing.

Marvie - Virginia, Zone "8"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com