Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Unusual veggies

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Unusual veggies « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephie  Send Stephie a private message!

Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 02:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This year I am growing snow peas that have yellow pods and purple pods, green beans with yellow leaves, purple and yellow carrots, white, brown, green and yellow tomatoes, rainbow swiss chard, together with the traditional veggies. I have grown white beets which are tastier in my opinion than red ones and I know of a source for---guess what?---blue tomatoes! I like to try the different just in case they taste better; oddly, many are hierlooms and not "new" at all. The golden peas have beautiful blue/maroon flowers too which spice up the garden (and salads) with their color and pods. The yellow carrot are extremely tasty and coreless. I also use the swiss chard in salads--some of the colors are almost neon! I have the green, yellow and purple beans---oh and I almost forgeot the red ones growing out there---red chinese noodle beans. My salads are never boring these days!!!!

Stephie - B.C., Zone "8"

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 02:54 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

How about some pictures?

I find if some vegetables don't have the traditional colour that they tend to put people off. Yellow Lemon Boy tomatoes would be an example. The tomato is perfect in every way, but some people get turned off, and tend to not like them. I am almost sure it is a rigid mind-set.
http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 06:55 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I don't have a digital camera (yet) and am waiting for my new computer to arrive since this old girl's printer is down.
I agree about people being turned off---especially by white tomatoes---but being the adventurous type, they can't get away from them when I serve up a salad, for instance. Usually when they taste them, they are amazed. Few bother to grow them though. My friend sticks with her peaches & cream corn even though you get one cob and they are fairly small, whereas the new synergistic corns are two (or more) cobs per plant, medium sized,(for me) and so sweet you can literally eat them off the cob uncooked (and I did). She has raved about them, but continues to grow these little P&C cobs. Sometimes I think people stick with what works, especially if they haven't enough garden space for experimentation. In Canada, white tomatoe seeds are next to impossible to get, whereas in the US, they have so many kinds it is hard to chose. Best way is a little of each as in cherry tomatoes. I get the Rainbow Mix from eseeds.com and they are fantastic! A big bowl of mixed coloured cherry tomatoes! Wow!
By the way, blue fleshed potatoes are really really good flavoured potatoes and I find them quite disease/pest resistant. Grown them for years.

Stephie - B.C., Zone "8"

Cindym  Send Cindym a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:31 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Stephie, I'd love to hear more about that blue tomato. I grow orange and black in addition to the regular. Love rainbow chard and totally agree about white beets and golden beets being sweeter than red. Such a treat!

I've grown purple beans and eaten yellow carrots, but never seen purple carrots.

Cindym - LA, Zone "8b"

Spuddigger  Send Spuddigger a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 02:06 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I'm trying purple cauliflower and red, purple, and white as well as traditional green broccoli. I can't get my carrots to germinate, but I have yellow, purple, red, white, and orange carrot seed.

You're never too old to play with your food!

Spuddigger - CO, Zone "5"

Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:27 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Blue tomatoes seed can be found (I hope) at the website "TomatoFest Organic Heirloom".
Purple carrots are a very old heirloom and believe that the orange was "bred" by the Dutch.
I can't find the white carrot seed???? My red carrots went to seed with no root---right alongside the yellow ones which germinate better than almost any others in my garden.
I only wish I could grow the coloured cauliflowers/broccoli (I can only grow raab) since we have too many slugs, worms and bugs that destroy them.

Stephie - B.C., Zone "8"

Potager  Send Potager a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:07 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Blue or purple tomatoes?

I would really like to hear more about that. I have seen tomatoes that are red, brown, orange, yellow and white (well, really they are light yellow). But I have never seen purple tomatoes. Some tomatoes described as "purple" turned out to be brown or reddish brown home in my greenhouse. This also applies for some varieties described as "black".

So if anyone has true purple or blue tomatoes, please tell more....

Potager - Denmark, Zone "7"

Potager  Send Potager a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:14 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Talking about purple....

I guess you already know the Blauwschokker Purple Podded Pea?

Potager - Denmark, Zone "7"

Heirloomgardens  Send Heirloomgardens a private message!

My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 01:14 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I grew Lemon Cucumbers last year and Boothby's Blonde Cucumbers this year. They are both oddly colored heirlooms. I didn't like the taste of the Lemon cukes at all and the Boothby's haven't ripened yet, so I can't say how tasty I think they are. I have a very adventurous palate, though, having eaten everything from thousand year old eggs to octopus stuffed with conch. (Didn't like the eggs, but I did enjoy the octopus.)

Heirloomgardens - Massachusetts, Zone "5b"

Spuddigger  Send Spuddigger a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 04:36 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have tried and tried, but for the second year in a row, I simply cannot get my carrots or lettuce to come up. Is it that hard to grow?

Spuddigger - CO, Zone "5"

Karma  Send Karma a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 01:46 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Plant Forum

Stephie, are these the Irish variegated leafed and fruit tomatoes that you were talking about? A friend passed the seeds of these to me and I met a guy that grew these last year and can't wait to eat one!

Karma - PNW, Zone "Z-Denial "

Lovinlife  Send Lovinlife a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 03:51 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

My uncle, who passed away several years ago, brought back tomato seeds from France in WWII. The tomatoes are pink, and are delicious.

Lovinlife - Utah, Zone "5"

Karma  Send Karma a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:39 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Plant Forum

Here are the tomatoes for that plant, all stripped and I can't wait until we can eat one.

Karma - PNW, Zone "Z-Denial "

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com