Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
More unusual veggies

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » More unusual veggies « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephie  Send Stephie a private message!

Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 11:33 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I'm also growing african horned cucumbers and sikkim cucumbers--both have shelf lives, at room temperature, measured in weeks/months! The african one's fruit is $6.00 a piece here in Canada but they produce heavily given lots of heat and time. Started mine quite early and put them in the greenhouse in May, now they are crawling across the ceiling to the other side. Some people say they're kinda crappy others say not bad, so I'll give 'em a try. The fruit is actually "cute". Sikkims are like the regular cuke in size and shape, but have a darker, almost brown skin. Stays crisp for weeks, so am looking forward to these specimens! Also trying a melon called "Tigger" that is drought resistant--imagine that from a melon? Skin is really like Tony the Tiger too. There are some other interesting cucumbers from India but I will save them for next year.

Stephie - B.C., Zone "8"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Potager  Send Potager a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:59 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Yes - the sikkim cucumber is really different - and highly ornamental. See my closeup photo of Sikkim Cucumber

Potager - Denmark, Zone "7"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com