Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
10 July 2007 Effective watering of plant roots.

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » 10 July 2007 Effective watering of plant roots. « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 01:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

10 July 2007 Effective watering of plant roots.

http://ugaex.notlong.com/ !0 July 2007 Effective watering of plant roots.

Watering using the city supply can be a hassle. Normal spraying methods usually only wets the surface plus the evaporation wastes water.

The device depicted is a normal hand held spray nozzle available in all hardware stores. The spray device is removed and the pipe is reversed and attached to the hose. This makes holding the device relatively comfortable.

The pipe is the inserted along a row of plants at probably one foot intervals and the water actually gets to the roots without waste of water. Using this method the time taken is about equivalent to spraying and more effective, since the water actually gets to the root area.

The hydraulic effect of the stream makes inserting the pipe into the ground effortless.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Euphorbphreak  Send Euphorbphreak a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:44 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Very clever! Irrigation is a major issue here, since we don't have rain from April to November. This year I finally went for a major upgrade to my drip irrigation system to handle about 1000 sq ft of beds. When I went from hand watering to drip, it cut my water consumption by about 2/3rds, and gets the water to exactly where the plant needs it.

David, the other CA, 10/17

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com