Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
What's eating my red twig dogwood?

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Pest and Diseases-Archives » What's eating my red twig dogwood? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kasia  Send Kasia a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 02:10 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I think it's some kind of a borer, but what? And more importantly how do I get rid of it or prevent it from coming back? I trimmed off the affected branches.

It's still a very young shrub, I noticed that the leaves were wilting, and upon closer inspection saw that two of the main branches were snapped off. I blamed the neighbours' cat first He gets blamed for all the evils of the world ever since he decided to use one of my flower beds as his personal bathroom.

Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Plant Forum

Kasia - Ontario, Zone "5b"

Bebe  Send Bebe a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 05:14 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have no idea. But this is so sad. Too bad about the kitties.

Bebe - Texas, Zone "7b"

Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 05:26 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Bebe wrote on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 03:20 pm:

Too bad about the kitties

Oh, I'm only joking about the cat. We're good friends now, I put lots of cedar mulch on the flower beds so he doesn't get tempted. He likes to sit on the fence post and keep me company while I garden. Sometimes he meows when I talk to him.

Loretta  Send Loretta a private message!

Supporting Member

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:31 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well there is a dogwood twig borer. Cutting infested branches and throwing them out with the trash or burning them would help. I've also read people suggest using elmer's glue to seal prune cuts and damages to help prevent borers from entering.
Try this website:
Virginia Cooperative Extension

Loretta - NJ, Zone "6"

Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:19 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks Loretta! I saw some information on the dogwood twig borer but the color description threw me off. This guy was bright yellow not creamy white. Whatever it is, I seem to have done all I can for now. I cut the infested branches and I keep checking the shrub for further damage. So far so good, I hope it survives.

Loretta  Send Loretta a private message!

Supporting Member

Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 09:38 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I agree it pictures posted look a little different. It looks closer to the dogwood borer but they are shown attacking the tree bark. In any case, unless you intend to use chemicals, the strategy is the same. What you might keep an eye out for is whether or not they have more than one generation a year.

Loretta - NJ, Zone "6"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com