Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
17 July 2007 American Gooseberry

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » 17 July 2007 American Gooseberry « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:28 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

17 July 2007 American Gooseberry (Ribes hirtellum)

http://ohyah.notlong.com/ 17 July 2007 American Gooseberry (Ribes hirtellum)

This American Gooseberry bush was planted in the Spring of 2005. It produced a few berries in 2006. I pruned to five stems and they are full of fruit this year. The dish contains about one-quarter of the berries on the bush. In 2006 after fruiting the foliage was attacked by a fungus (Downey Mildew?) which devastated the leaves, but apparently had no lasting harmful effects. The fruiting stems are supported otherwise, the fruit laden branches fall to the ground. They are just another fruit for the home garden. They take up little room and require minimal care.

The berries are sweet with a bit of a tart tang, which is not unpleasant. I mix them with my raspberries and eat as a fruit dish with cream or milk or simply put in the blender to make juice with other fruits. The berries are more pleasant and sweeter than my black current berries, but the gooseberries are a bit more fibrous.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Heirloomgardens  Send Heirloomgardens a private message!

My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:37 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I LOVE GOOSEBERRIES!!! Congratulations on your terrific harvest.

I just planted some Oregon Champion gooseberries this year. When I was little, my grandmother had an enormous gooseberry bush. She used to send me out with a big colander to harvest the berries for her. I'd sit under the bush with her Australian Shepherd and the dog and I would eat loads and loads of berries, but somehow we always managed to bring home enough for my granddad to make gooseberry-rhubarb jam. Mmmm. I can't wait to harvest my own gooseberries and rhubarb.

Heirloomgardens - Massachusetts, Zone "5b"

Mimi  Send Mimi a private message!

Supporting Member

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 01:37 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

My Girlfriend has 2 bushes in her yard, she wanted to tear them out, didn't know what to do with the berries. Will have to clue her in.
I have never seen a GB bush before., first the berries were a lime green , then started to turn a crimson shade. Very pretty. The neighbor kids enjoyed munching on them, .

Mimi - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

Malgorzata  Send Malgorzata a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 08:53 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I also have very fond memories from childhood eating gooseberries from the bush at my grandma's garden. :) Some could be so sweet when others would make my eyes squint and cry! ;) I have never seen gooseberries in Japan...

Malgorzata - Fukuoka-Kyushu, Zone "8/9"

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:34 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

http://ohqui.notlong.com 25 July 2007 Picking the last of the Gooseberries.

Three large bowls of berries were obtained from this small bush.

Kasia  Send Kasia a private message!

Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:29 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I love gooseberries too! Must be something to do with the childhood memories, very much like Malgorzata's

I don't have enough space in my garden to grow them, so we go to a local farm each year to pick enough to make jam. This year I was lucky enough to find the European variety (Ribes grossularia), they are larger than the american variety and green. That's the stuff I grew up on . The jam is already made!

Kasia - Ontario, Zone "5b"

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:07 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Kasia wrote on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 08:35 am:

This year I was lucky enough to find the European variety (Ribes grossularia), they are larger than the american variety and green.

I just discovered the European variety, and am in the process of getting a plant. The fruit is much larger, and probably a better plant for the home garden, but I have no complaint about my production this year on the American variety.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com