Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
African Horned Cucumber

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » African Horned Cucumber « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephie  Send Stephie a private message!

Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 01:13 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This plant is making my greenhouse tropical! Lots of babies that are actually very cute, like little armadillos. The ones outside seem to prefer crawling to climbing but trying to find out what they prefer. I use a small paint brush to cross fertilize as the weather hasn't been kind to insects. The cold did my sikkim cucumbers in--they can't tolerate it. The kiwano (african horned cukes) are in the supermarkets again--6.99 each. Hope I get to try at least one and will if the weather stays good until the end of September (they require lots of heat & sun).

Stephie - B.C., Zone "8"

Potager  Send Potager a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 05:31 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

How does it taste? A couple of years ago I tried to grow it in the greenhouse, but there was only one single tiny fruit (it was a cold, cold summer). Probably I will try again some time....

Potager - Denmark, Zone "7"

Stephie  Send Stephie a private message!

Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 01:43 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I haven't tasted one yet, but some say it tastes like banana/lime/passionfruit, others say it is rather bland. Its taste may very well depend on its growing conditions. Our spring was very cool and wet--my sister lost all hers but I lucked out--the greenhouse ones took off when the heat returned and the two outside just hung in and also decided to take off with the return of summer. They like heat and lots of it. I scared myself the other day while cross pollinating them because the fruit is the size of the end of my thumb until I looked up and there was one the size of a lemon--looked like one of those horned lizards for a small second--made me jump. I started them quite early in the season--February-and carried them through until May. Who knew June was going to be October? Oh well, glad to have made it through. Give it another try--they are just so different!!! (shelf-life at room temps is in the months. Must be stored singly because their spines will pierce each other--which is probably one of the reasons they are so expensive). Once established and happy, they become quite productive. Even if they don't taste that great, I may make them a constant companion as I like their looks.

Stephie - B.C., Zone "8"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com