Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Should I cut lilly stalks after they bloom?

Garden Forum » Archives » Bulbs in the Garden Forum-Archives » Should I cut lilly stalks after they bloom? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jenalice  Send Jenalice a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 08:23 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I was wondering if it is ok to cut down the big lily stalks now that all the flowers have bloomed and fallen off?
I have more lilies around then that I want to see better when they bloom, but I don't want to do this at the risk of hurting all of the others.
Thanks in advance,
Jena

Jenalice - New Hampshire, Zone "6"

Merla  Send Merla a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 08:42 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Jena . . . . . the stalk of the Lily feeds the bulb for next years blooms . . . . Merla

Merla - Ontario, Zone "five"

Galanthophile  Send Galanthophile a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 06:29 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

It is safe to cut off the stalks where the flowers were to prevent seeds developing. The bulb would spend unecessary energy in producing seeds at the expense of making new flowers for next year. The bulb needs the stem to die down naturally while it performs this function as Merla says. Do try and live with this and you will be rewarded with more blooms next year.

Galanthophile - Ann (Northern England), Zone "8"

Lovinlife  Send Lovinlife a private message!

Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 01:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Galanthophile wrote on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 04:35 am:

The bulb needs the stem to die down naturally

I believe this is true of all bulbs. I'm not sure about daffodils or narcissus, though, because I've never grown them. I do know it's true of lilies and tulips.

You can plant bulbs with other perennials so they are less noticeable after the flowers are gone. For example, you can plant daylilies in front of or next to tulips because they're just getting started by the time the tulip blossoms are gone. This lets the daylily cover the ugly tulip foliage as it starts to turn brown.

Lovinlife - Utah, Zone "5"

Otnorot  Send Otnorot a private message!

Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 02:34 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Cut stalk off to the first set of leaves you come to,if you dont the flower will go to seed and use the energy that should be going to the bulb.
Bill

Otnorot - Ont, Zone "6A"

Jenalice  Send Jenalice a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 03:51 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thank you very much!!

Jenalice - New Hampshire, Zone "6"

Learntogarden  Send Learntogarden a private message!

My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 05:55 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I don't like the ugly appearance of the lilly stalks, so I always cut them and just purchase new ones each year. They're fairly inexpensive and tend to bloom better for me in my gardening zone when I do this because I don't have a significant cooling period in the winter. If you'd like more information on my garden you can visit my website: www.learntogarden.net

Learntogarden - LA, Zone "8A"

Heirloomgardens  Send Heirloomgardens a private message!

My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 07:13 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I've read that you shouldn't remove more than 1/3 of the stem, pretty much for the reasons that the others have mentioned. I don't whack mine back until they die down to the ground (even though they are growing in plain view right along the walkway to my front door).

Heirloomgardens - Massachusetts, Zone "5b"

Bluesibe  Send Bluesibe a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:44 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Learntogarden,

by purchasing new every year, you won't experience the joy of seeing new and stronger plants the following year. I had many lilies this year that were well over 6' tall and produced lilies that lasted for at least one month or longer. My Black Beauties are just about finished peaking, but are the queens of the garden, lording over (and I mean 'over') their subjects.

Carol

Bluesibe - Berkeley Area, California, Zone "9a"

Nanny56  Send Nanny56 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 06:09 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Some of mine I consider to be pretty expensive per bulb!!!!!

Nanny56 - Indiana, Zone "5b"

Jazzmo  Send Jazzmo a private message!

Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:14 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Jennifer,I cut mine back each year and I don't know why but they come back bigger and more beautiful each time. I don't cut them right to the ground but I only leave them about a foot high,like you I want to see the other flowers when they come up.

Jazzmo - Ontario, Zone "6a"

Lindablond  Send Lindablond a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 01:21 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Plant Forum
My lilies (above) love the following treatment:

After flowering, dig the whole plants out: bulbs, stems and all. Cut off the seed pods developing on the top (where the flowers were) so all the plant's energy will go into the bulbs instead of into forming seeds.

Put the bulbs with their ripening stems into large pots, crammed together and cover with soil. Place them in a sunny spot out of sight because they are going to get UGLY!!! Water regularly to keep the lily bulbs moist. If they dry out, they will DIE, so be careful about this! You may want to label them, too, so you can keep track of what's what.

Wait until fall when the ugly browning stems fall off on their own. At that point, take the bulbs out of the large pots. If you want more lilies (and who doesn't?) you can scale them. This means taking scales and mini bulb "babies" off the lilies to propagate more for yourself or to share with other gardeners!

Re-pot the individual, original mother bulbs in 4" pots to overwinter in an unheated garage. Leave them there until they sprout in the early spring when they can come outside in the sunlight. Follow the instructions on the website provided below to learn what to do with your scales and mini bulbs!

When lilies come out in fall, tulips can go into the vacant spots. After tulips are done blooming in spring/early summer they are dug out to dry off. You don't have to bother removing stems of the tulips or anything - just lay them out on racks or in pots to dry in a shady, airy place. Don't water them.

Just in time, the lilies have grown in their little pots and they are now ready to plant out in the place of the tulips. What a great cycle of continual blooms!

A lot of work, some may say, but, hey, isn't this the kind of fun stuff that we LIVE for? :)

This works for all types of lilies. I grow asiatics, orientals and trumpet lilies.

To propagate lily bulbs from scales and bulblets, try this website for terrific instructions:

http://www.lilies.org/propagation.html

Happy lily growing!

Linda Vancouver, Canada Zone 8

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com