Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
In Search Of My Mother's Garden..

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » In Search Of My Mother's Garden.. « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Monique  Send Monique a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 06:26 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Perfect timing EJ..And thank you very much.I hope we will put it to good use.I am so pleased to be able to post this for my mom.
I could not find the stepping stone anywhere and it meant so much to me to be able to honor my mom in my gardens.. This is my first attempt at making stepping stones..It was fun and I hope to get better at it.The first is called concrete engraving.. made upside down..freeform..the next embedding right side up in a form..I made them yesterday..They still are not dry..
When I went to buy the cement after work ..I had to pick it up in the outdoor yard area..and he said..You are pouring cement today? (You have to know how cold it is here..!) I said yes but in the basement..He let it go at that.

Here goes..
The first..

And the 2nd..

I hope to try a stained glass one when I find my equipment.

Monique Québec Zone 5

Derek  Send Derek a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 07:34 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

That is very impressive Monique...and I am glad you found a way of honoring your mother( and I won't have to mail you a stone now).
You seem to be talented in so many artforms and now you want to move on to stained glass!!...I admire your courage to forge ahead and try whatever you feel like doing creatively

How did you do the lettering in the cement? If that is finger writing, you have a very good eye for proportions :-)

Derek Quebec 3b

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 07:52 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Derek..twice I have tried to post on your Let's watch it grow today and have not been able to.I will try again.
The lettering is called concrete engraving.
I learned it on the web.
You find a font you like on the web..Mirror it.Print it up.
Then you write on a sheet of plastic (I used that sticky paper..Saran was too flimsy..)You write with something that creates height.They recommended liquid lead.
Well I didn't have that..but I had fabric paint from years and years ago..I put 2 coats which of course raised the lettering.
Then I laid it flat on my work table and poured(Bad choice of words as the cement is really not liquid) the cement over..free form.Tapped the cement with my hands and let it dry until I could flip it over and peel.Because it was free form..It is crooked and I lost the stones in the cement.These will be epoxied after.
Contrary to the 2nd stone which I used an aluminium plate..Filled with cement then laid a fern leaf on top and embedded the stones which changed color(I am learning).Then I peeled the leaf off and was left with the imprint.I can imagine with lovely garden leaves etc it will be quite fun.I think when they are fully dry they will lighten.
I have done stained glass lamps in the past am quite rusty..But would use the 2nd technique to do the stained glass ones.
Your past offer of the stone was a lovely as receiving it.
I just had to do this.
It is much easier and much more fun than it looks.These are rough..But with practice..I hope to improve enough to offer them as gifts.

Monique Canada Zone 5

Gardenshowlady  Send Gardenshowlady a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 08:44 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oh, Monique those stepping stones are so beautiful! I love the thought.

And guess what my mother's name was? Fern!
Curious, eh...We must be 'kindred spirits' at Gardenbuddies.

Carolyn SC Coastal Zone 8

Carolyn  Send Carolyn a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 09:25 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I am glad you thought up this Gallery Monique and I love what you have made. The first one is a very sentimental stone.
I have a picture of one but I don't know how to put it on here as I dont have a scanner but it is a huge rhubarb leaf and it looks really lovely. Maybe I can just take a photo of the photo - I will try that later.
You are one artistic and clever lady.

Carolyn, Qld. Aust

Gardenbug  Send Gardenbug a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 12:11 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

And we're off with a perfectly wonderful start! I'm all weepy already Monique...

gardenbug Ontario, Canada zone 5b, USDA zone 4

Susanq  Send Susanq a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 12:51 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Could you post the link the the concrete engraving, Monique. Great post.

SusanQ - Zone 4b-5b Wisconsin

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:52 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Sue..I e-mailed you directly...

Mnique Québec Zone 5

Susanq  Send Susanq a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 01:20 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Got it, Monique. Thanks so much!

SusanQ - Zone 4b-5b Wisconsin

Suzymac  Send Suzymac a private message!

Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 03:45 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oh Monique, you did a wonderful job ! And what a fine tribute to your Mom. I'm getting all choked up here !

Suzy

suzymac Massachusetts Zone 6-7

Blooming  Send Blooming a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 09:22 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

It's wonderful...

Zone 8a, sometimes 7b

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright ©2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com