Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Color Spectacle

Garden Forum » Archives » Dahlias in the Garden Forum-Archives » Color Spectacle « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eileen  Send Eileen a private message!

My Garden Journal
My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 06:31 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Has anyone grown 'Color Spectacle' an A SC dahlia? It was given to me last year and I thought perhaps this year would be better with a normal start. Four blooms now all look like the picture below. What is wrong here?

Plant Forum

Eileen Pennsylvania Zone 5

Poochella  Send Poochella a private message!

My Time
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 07:25 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

It's a beautiful color, but I wish it were fully double rather than single and open centered. Is it supposed to be double?

Poochella - Western WA, Zone "7"

Lovinlife  Send Lovinlife a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 07:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Eileen wrote on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 04:37 pm:

What is wrong here?

You know, I wouldn't say anything is wrong. I quite like it. It's unusual, in that it's neither double nor single. But I think it's a striking flower.

Lovinlife - Utah, Zone "5"

Dahlianut  Send Dahlianut a private message!

Supporting Member

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 07:31 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Eilene-- were the centers blown last year too? If so the stock is bad and ditch it at the end of the season. If the flowers were fully double last year, then tag it as blown centers 2007. If it has blown centers next year compost it. Sometimes for some unknown reason a dahlia will give nothing but blown centers. I always tag it as blown centers then give it one more chance. But blown centers 2 years in a row and it is bad stock and out of here.

Linda Washington State Zone 8

Supporting Member

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 07:32 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Eileen-- were the centers blown last year too? If so the stock is bad and ditch it at the end of the season. If the flowers were fully double last year, then tag it as blown centers 2007. If it has blown centers next year compost it. Sometimes for some unknown reason a dahlia will give nothing but blown centers. I always tag it as blown centers then give it one more chance. But blown centers 2 years in a row and it is bad stock and out of here.
I use to grow this many moons ago.

My Garden Journal
My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 08:49 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks for the replies, Buddies. I found the name in the ADS site and I sure don't think what I have is COLOR SPECTACLE A SC BI DR/W

Linda, last year it was more orange and the centers were the same. I hoped this year would be different. I don't think it is Color Spectacle. This nice healthy plant is full of buds so I'll enjoy it this year. The color varies from the picture above to a darker orange. All the blooms are about the same gangly size. I assume, Linda, the centers weren't like this years ago or even the plant?

Supporting Member

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 09:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Eileen-- over the years of planting and growing some tubers use up all of it's good qualities and finally peters out. So it becomes bad stock and needs the old heave hoe.

My Garden Journal
My Weather
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 01:20 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Poor Color Spectacle, I went to see Midge Mandella's dahlias and one of the first things she said is this plant has to go. Guess which one. She has the same results and a friend who also did. It is just mal formed now from this stock.

Plantlady2  Send Plantlady2 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 07:42 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

It looks like it started life as Papagno-- it's that color --not Color Spectacle which was burgandy & white. I agree with Linda- chuck it & grow a fully double one. If you get a large- A --or giant- AA --sized dahlia that has an open center it has gone to pot- there's no big ones that are supposed to have an open center.

Plantlady2 - Washington, Zone "7"

My Garden Journal
My Weather
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 08:51 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Never did my plant produce blooms even near a red or burgundy and white. Never did it produce a bloom that wasn't open in the center. What shall we do? Call it an annual sunflower.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com