Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
26 August 2007 Potato Harvest

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » 26 August 2007 Potato Harvest « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 08:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

26 August 2007 Potato Harvest

http://zofie.notlong.com/ 26 August 2007 Potato Harvest.

This is the produce from 25 plants. Grown were Superior and Pontiac. The Superior were used all summer as required for the table.

The potatoes were lightly washed to remove dirt, dried in the sun for about 2 hours to harden the skin, graded for size, then placed in paper bags. They will be stored in the dark cold room in the basement with the bags left open for air.

The quality is excellent.
http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Lovinlife  Send Lovinlife a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 05:23 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

James, do you buy any foods at all? You seem to be so self-sufficient.

Lovinlife - Utah, Zone "5"

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 08:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Lovinlife wrote on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 03:29 pm:

James, do you buy any foods at all? You seem to be so self-sufficient.

There is just the two of us. During the growing season we eat almost exclusively out of the garden. I store onions, carrots, potatoes and garlic. Much of the garden produce is supplied to neighbors and family.

A digression: My main protein source is soy beans, which I buy about 50 kilos per year. These I boil for about 7 hours, add some sugar and molasses to improve the taste, blend to a paste and eat a bowl-full every morning for breakfast, and a bowl of coarse flattened oats cooked a couple of minutes in the micro-wave oven. This has been my breakfast for about 30 years.

I eat most vegetables also make a slurry in the blender of fruits and vegetables as available, and drink about a litre a day. This is my juice.

I am not fanatical, and eat other things, meat and some desserts, mostly fruit, but in very small quantities. The fast food places are avoided.

Having traveled much during my life, I am of the opinion that the North American diet is killing us for various reasons. I consider the best diet in the world to be what the Japanese eat, but one must modify as to what is available. It would be difficult to be a vegetarian; for example, living with the Eskimoes.

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 12:09 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Durgan wrote on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 06:45 pm:

I consider the best diet in the world to be what the Japanese eat,

You have a lot of company in that thought, James. Dr. Andrew Weil, who has written many books on diet, has a regimen taken from the Japanese and, like you, has also modified it. I am so envious of people like you (and my parents also, btw) who grow most of what you eat.

I am thinking a lot these days about the notion of eating mostly raw fruits and vegetables. Have you ever eaten raw potatoes? I remember doing that as a child. The yams and sweet potatoes are terrific.

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 06:07 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Lovinlife wrote on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:15 am:

Have you ever eaten raw potatoes?

Yes, I like potatoes raw now and then. I often eat raw corn and generally find it more to my liking than cooked. In fact, I eat a lot of raw fruits and vegetables, often simply put into the blender with water sufficient for straight drinking.

Sometimes I question the necessity for cooking many vegetables, since often there is enough starch in the diet without adding vegetables to the list of starch intake by cooking, which is often the cited reason for doing so.

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 12:47 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I like raw corn also, as well as green beans and peas, and we all know about the health benefits and great taste of raw carrots, broccoli, and tomatoes in salads and snacks. I bet we'd all be a lot healthier if we didn't cook vegetables as much.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com