Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
27 August 2007 Horseradish Condiment.

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » 27 August 2007 Horseradish Condiment. « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

27 August 2007 Preparing Horseradish condiment.

http://maiwe.notlong.com/ 27 August 2007 Preparing Horseradish condiment. There are two large horseradish plants. I dug up one plant and will prepare the other later in the season. These plants are difficult to dig up, and much effort is required to get the desired product - the roots.

I treat the plant as an annual, and save a piece of root for next years growth. This plant can be invasive, and every small piece of root left in the ground will sprout. To prevent this I rototill extensively, and remove all remnants of root. The small seed root is put in a pot and allowed to grow until about August, then I put in in the ground to overwinter. Usually two plants are sufficient for the home garden. If treated as a perennial I find the roots are sometime too tough and fibrous.

The smaller roots tend to have less fibre and beat up better in the blender. I simply cut the roots into small pieces and blend with vinegar in the blender. The excess vinegar is then drained away in a colender. The finished product is put into small 125 ml jars. If the product is in larger jars the flavour is reduced and the colour changes with each opening to air. A few roots produce a lot of product. From this plant, I obtained twelve 125 ml jars.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Lovinlife  Send Lovinlife a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 05:07 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Gosh, that's a *lot* of horseradish spread from one plant. If I only had more room (sigh).

Lovinlife - Utah, Zone "5"

Malgorzata  Send Malgorzata a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:33 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have read your "tutorial" James and I am almost ready to give it a try to grow horseradish...in deep pot. I am so "hungry" for the taste but can not get horseradish in the stores around me.

Malgorzata - Fukuoka-Kyushu, Zone "8/9"

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 07:40 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Malgorzata wrote on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 09:39 pm:

I have read your "tutorial" James and I am almost ready to give it a try to grow horseradish...in deep pot.

The plant depicted in the "tutorial" is extra large. Past plants have been about a quarter that size, and sufficient roots have been obtained to make several small jars of horseradish condiment. Almost any shoot produces a plant in a few months. Note: (My daughter resides in Tokyo about 10 years)

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 09:46 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thank you James...and what a small world!

My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 09:52 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

http://xaere.notlong.com/ 6 October 2007 Processing another plant of horseradish. The whole process is detailed.

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 07:34 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Wow! Not only helpful but also very interesting! Thank you James for taking the time to show us the whole process. Neena is doing such a splendid job in supervising! :)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com