Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Need help finding water fountain

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » Need help finding water fountain « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cindym  Send Cindym a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 05:50 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I really like the sound of the fountain in my neighbor's yard. And the design is very basic which also appeals to me. Unfortunately, the place she bought hers wants $600 for the complete setup ... pot, fountain, and pump. I think I can come up with a pot, it's the fountain part that I'm searching for. It comes in configurations of 3, 5, 7, or 9 flat rocks. I'm looking for the 3. Tried searching online, but so far I'm not having any luck.

If you've seen something like this would you mind pointing me in the right direction? Here's the neighbor's...

Cindym - Louisiana, Zone "8b"

Seil  Send Seil a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 06:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Cyndy, these are really easy to make yourself. That way you can really personallize it. This is the fountain we made from a big fish pot we found for peanuts because it had a chip on it.

We bought the fountain parts at Wal Mart's for about 10 bucks and the bottom is an inexpensive plastic bird bath. I just added shells I had collected for decoration. You can use just about anything that will hold water for the bottom and then get creative for the top.

Seil - Michigan, Zone "6"

My Weather
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 12:06 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Seil, it's the flat rock part that I'm looking for. I love the sound that comes from the water falling off the rocks.

We had a wall fountain that we were going to incorporate into the remodel, but it turned out to be a major hassle and since it constantly needed to be refilled we scrapped the idea. And besides, the sound wasn't anything like what's produced from the flat rocks. It's really a sensory thing for me. I don't need to see it as much as hear it.

old wall fountain...

Mimi  Send Mimi a private message!

Supporting Member

My Weather
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 12:49 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Ben talking of adding a water feature too .

Mimi - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 05:30 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Cindy,
I wonder if something like a flag stone would make a similar sound. They have them at our local Home Depot. Rocks are so much more plentiful in other parts of the country than they are in the coastal south, so I know they might be hard to find. I'd start with the biggest rock/gravel outfit you can find. Someone that does bigger projects. They might at least be able to provide you with a source. We have a lot of places up here where they have all sorts of rocks -- big, small, flat, etc stacked up in a yard for you to walk around and see. I can't remember ever seeing such a place back home. But that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

Plantindude  Send Plantindude a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 04:35 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Cindy ,you really don't have to spend big $$$$ to get a fountain and sound of water in your garden. Old wash tubs and a pump is a good start. I have 6 different wash tubs ranging from $20 and down bought at flea markets and garage sales. there's also a range of ready-to -go fountains you can by atlowes,homedepot,or a wide range of on line sites. pumps can range from a few dollars to a couple of hundred ,depending on how much water you want to want to push.The one I'm running out back ran me bout $80 but will push 100+ gph. Use your imagination and any thing that'll hold water,big pots,an old washtub,livestock tanks {galvinized type},an old bath tub. and the list goes on.Plant Forum...Mike

Plantindude - Ohio, Zone "5B"

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 09:03 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Suzyqt1968 wrote on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 03:36 pm:

We have a lot of places up here where they have all sorts of rocks -- big, small, flat, etc stacked up in a yard for you to walk around and see. I can't remember ever seeing such a place back home. But that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Suzy, there was a place in Gonzales years ago that had a surprising selection of rocks, but I think the owner retired and the place closed. Can't even remember what it was called.

Plantindude wrote on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 02:41 pm:

Cindy ,you really don't have to spend big $$$$ to get a fountain and sound of water in your garden.

Oh, I know that, but not all water fountains have the same soothing sounds. This one did and that's why I'd like to replicate it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com