Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
14 September 2007 Late Season Raspberries.

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » 14 September 2007 Late Season Raspberries. « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Durgan  Send Durgan a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 06:32 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

14 September 2007 Late Season Raspberries.

http://biida.notlong.com/ This is the second year for these six plants. The fruit is born on new growth each year. In the late fall the bushes are cut back to ground level. A bowl full of fruit is picked daily, and the harvest started five days ago. The berries are full flavoured and as delicious as they appear in the photographs.

There is an early raspberry variety in the garden, which bears fruit on last year's growth, so the bearing canes are removed immediately after the berry harvest is complete.

It is important to differentiate between the two varieties or one might end up with no fruit the following year.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

Durgan - Ontario, Zone "5"

Lovinlife  Send Lovinlife a private message!

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 12:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Beautiful berries, James. Are any of the varieties thornless?

I have a thornless blackberry, and it's terrific.

Lovinlife - Utah, Zone "5"

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:03 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Lovinlife wrote on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:45 am:

Are any of the varieties thornless?

Not thornless. The plants were given to me. I must admit that blackberries are amongst my favorites, but they are not grown in my area.

Malgorzata  Send Malgorzata a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:42 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Can you help me? Why I have problem growing raspberries? It is true I tried to grow them in huge pots ( I have too small garden). I bought small plants a few times in nurseries in my area (hard to come by and very expensive but sold!). I also....hmm... brought back bare-root plants from Poland on one occasion. They don't survive more than a few months at the most for me. Raspberries are imported fruit here ($5 for 15 small berries minimum). What I don't know? :(

Malgorzata - Fukuoka-Kyushu, Zone "8/9"

Suzyqt1968  Send Suzyqt1968 a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:44 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Malgorzata I would bet is has something to do with your climate. I think they must like cold winters (or not like too hot summers?). Where I am originally from (Louisiana, USA) raspberries don't grow readily and the climate is probably very similar to yours. I never ate one until I was in another country because of the high cost of them in the grocery stores there. Not quite as bad as $5 for 15 but not much better. I am thrilled to be able to grow them here.

Suzyqt1968 - Washington, Zone "7-8"

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 01:28 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Malgorzata wrote on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 08:48 pm:

Why I have problem growing raspberries?

I agree with Suzy, Malgorzata. But you could probably grow blackberries. They thrive in warmer climates and, IMHO, are just as delicious.

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:27 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I would bet is has something to do with your climate. I was suspecting the same but I guess I had to hear it form somebody else. And I wanted so much to give my kids the experience of munching on raspberries as I had in my childhood. I would not mind to have them for breakfast myself! Just love raspberries and miss that little red fruit so much.

Thank you Suzy and Gloria. May be one day someone will come up with the raspberry bush for my climate? ;) Blackberries are for me not the same fruit. Actually I have been growing one long strong stick for a couple of years and had a few sour fruit from it but I must admit I do not know how or when to prune it. And why is it so sour?! :(

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 07:49 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Malgorzata wrote on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 08:33 pm:

why is it so sour?!

Is this the blackberry? If so, it is probably the variety. Most blackberries are very sweet. I have one called Black Satin, and it is thornless, producing 20-30 quarts -- and more -- of berries each season. The berries are not quite as delicate as the raspberries, but are every bit as tasty.

I do hope the hybridizers are paying attention to the zoning problems associated with raspberries, and maybe one day you will have a lot of them.

Supporting Member

My Garden
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:42 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Gloria, the tag just said "Blackberry". At least it is surviving so far but if the fruit does not improve next year I won't keep it.

Oh James, your pictures make my mouth water!!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 07:26 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

http://eedat.notlong.com 28 September 2007

The raspberries are still producing. The quantity is about a litre every other day from my small patch.

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 05:56 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Durgan wrote on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 08:09 pm:

I must admit that blackberries are amongst my favorites, but they are not grown in my area.

James, I grow Black Satin, a thornless blackberry that's very hardy here in Zone 5. You could probably grow it in Ontario since you're in the same zone.

My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 09:57 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Lovinlife wrote on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 04:02 pm:

James, I grow Black Satin, a thornless blackberry that's very hardy here in Zone 5. You could probably grow it in Ontario since you're in the same zone.

Thanks, I shall pursue the information. Most of the small berry bearing plants go well in a small garden. It is astonishing to see the quantity a small patch can produce with minor effort.

Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 07:58 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Durgan wrote on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 08:03 pm:

It is astonishing to see the quantity a small patch can produce with minor effort.

The first year it produced berries, which was the third year in my garden, my neighbor, my daughter, and I collectively picked more than 25 quarts of berries. The only problem with the plant is that, for the next four years and until I moved, the roots were sending up shoots up to six feet away. I recommend putting down some kind of barrier, if possible, if you don't want more vines.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com