Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Elephant Ears

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » Elephant Ears « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neshane  Send Neshane a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:29 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I finally got my elephant ear plants to grow after something ate the first bulbs. So now I was able to cement cast it's leaves. I had several shades of green so I painted one of each color.

Neshane - Indiana, Zone "5b"

Zuzus_petals  Send Zuzus_petals a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:53 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

They're splendid, Karen.
I keep promising myself I will do that, but . . .

Is each one cast with a separate leaf - or can you use the same leaf more than once?

Zuzus_petals - N. Carolina, Zone "USDA 8"

Starzgarden  Send Starzgarden a private message!

Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 10:37 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Great job,Karen! I've done this with rhubarb leaves and they look lovely in the garden.

Starzgarden - Michigan, Zone "five"

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 09:55 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Some of the thicker leaves like Hostas you can use twice but most leaves are too thin and can only be used once.
I've used Rhubarb,Hosta,Burdock,Elephant Ear and Grape leaves. Most tree leaves didn't come out nice either.

Plantindude  Send Plantindude a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 12:00 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Neshane,really like like your elephant leave molds. I grow these every year and often thought about doing this with mine. I.ve also seen these at garden show, one was done with castor bean leaves,really cool !! Was really curious though in how you make your molds and still get all the leaf detail. I've heard of several different ways of doing this. thanks for any help. ..........Mike

Plantindude - Ohio, Zone "5"

My Weather
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 09:28 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have a sand base, it's wet down so you can make mounds and valleys so your leaf isn't just straight but has curves in it, covered with a plastic bag to keep the sand off.
Lay leaf upside down and make a mixture of Portland cement & fine sand to a consistency of brownie batter.
Pour onto leaf using a spoon,gently to the edges. Let cure 24hrs for small leaves and 48hrs for bigger ones. Gently remove leaf.
Must wait a week to paint and 2-3 weeks to seal.
The cement will pick up ALL veins or bad marks on leaf...have fun with them, I do.

Deanneart  Send Deanneart a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 10:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Wow! marvelous, I've been wanting to try my hand at this for a while. These are beautiful.

Deanne New Hampshire Zone 5

Plantindude  Send Plantindude a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:47 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks for the info Neshane, will give this method a try,crafty I'm not .hopefully I'll get somegood resuts. ...Mike

Plantindude - Ohio, Zone "5"

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 08:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Here is another site I got some information from.
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/accout/2002072754010311.html

Growit  Send Growit a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 07:57 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

They are so pretty Karen. I love the different ideas people on this site come up with. If I get a minute I might try my hand at this on my Fatsia. It has enormous leaves.

Growit - Hampshire, Zone "8/9"

Mimi  Send Mimi a private message!

Supporting Member

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 09:43 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Those look very nice! Like that you did different colors.
Really wanted to do that this garden season, never got to it. Caster bean would be fun.

Mimi - Wisconsin, Zone "4b"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com