Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Watermelons;no female flowers opening?

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Watermelons;no female flowers opening? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tefoe  Send Tefoe a private message!

Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 04:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hey everyone!
The thing is my watermelons are growing the female flowers but they're dieing off before they even open....
I realize its late in the year,but I always start them late so I can have a few melons for Thanksgiving,even Christmas..Iv never had problems before....
This year I added quite a bit of compost to the soil,coupled once a week with my compost tea,And my vines are the largest Iv ever had them....A few are near 25 feet with about 10 foot run offs,and still growing...
Could the size of them be a problem??
I start them in mid august each year,and normally have at least a few decent sized melons by now,but not this year.............
They are producing blooms like crazy,but again the female buds are dieing off......
Here in Florida it really doesn't cool off till mid December,so i don't think its the weather....plus Iv never had a problem with it.....

Any idea why this is happening?Thanks

Tefoe - Florida, Zone "?"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Potager  Send Potager a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 02:49 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

There can be several explanations.

Too hot, too cold or just no pollination (no bees = no pollination = no fruit).

Potager - Denmark, Zone "7"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com