Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
GOURDS

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » GOURDS « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Posygal  Send Posygal a private message!

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 04:41 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I`m drying gourds now to make bird feeders, baths and houses for in my gardens. I grew them for the first time this year, and though I only was able to harvest 6 "good" gourds I`m hopeing to get more next year and share. I originally planted 6 vines of gourds, but only 3 made it. Seems the chipmunks and squirels like nipping the newly appearing gourds off when they`re about an inch long!! Anyone else grow these?

Posygal - Pennsylvania, Zone "Zones 5-6"

Plantlady2  Send Plantlady2 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:48 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I grew some a few years ago- the large birdhouse ones that look like a swan & some small weird shaped ones that I had the kids in my art class decorate up as critters- they turned out really cute. I was going to sand down the big ones, paint them & lacquer them like some I saw for a fortune at a garden shop. I'm still going to do it... someday!!
Cory

Plantlady2 - Washington, Zone "7"

Posygal  Send Posygal a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 01:07 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

That`s what I want to do Cory. Make them into birdhouses and feeders. There is even an article I found on how to make small water baths for them. I like decor in my gardens, so this to me will add some beauty.

Posygal - Pennsylvania, Zone "Zones 5-6"

Periwinkle  Send Periwinkle a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 03:38 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I used to dry the little ones out and paint them for Christmas ornaments.

Denise--Northern Wisconsin, Z3b Click to hear a voice greeting from Periwinkle

Heirloomgardens  Send Heirloomgardens a private message!

Supporting Member

My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 04:45 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I love to grow and craft gourds. I haven't crafted any this year (Moira can vouch for that!) and I just noticed this morning that I don't know what happened to the ones I grew this year. They disappeared and I'm afraid to look around in case I discover that my husband threw them away. I have a couple of pages of crafted gourds in my garden album:

(http://heirloomgardens.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album1 1).

Heirloomgardens - Massachusetts, Zone "5b"

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 08:46 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Sharon, it looks like a few Gardenbuddies have made some crafts from gourds. Hope you continue.

DJ, what you've done with your gourds is wonderful! What tool did you use to carve yours? Are you an artist?

Supporting Member

My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:33 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thank you, Denise. I use a Dremel to carve my gourds. I am not an artist by any stretch of the imagination.

Sunnyday2day  Send Sunnyday2day a private message!

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:51 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You did do a super job on the gourds, D.J. I made a large Santa 'bust' a number of years ago. He comes out each Christmas...no artist here either, but I do think he's cute. :)

Sunnyday2day - Tanya-Michigan, Zone "5"

Growit  Send Growit a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 02:06 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Heirloomgardens wrote on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 01:51 pm:

I haven't crafted any this year (Moira can vouch for that!)

Oh no! Does that mean no bomb in the post DJ? I was looking forward to that scenario. Bomb squad, terrified postman, headline news. HAHA! Only kidding. I really don't expect you to send me anything.
Your gourd art is beautiful. I always wondered why people bothered to grow them. I have only ever seen them gathering dust in a fruit bowl. Never imagined you could make such lovely ornaments out of them.
Please post some pictures of the things you make Sharon. I am tempted to have a go at growing some myself now with all these wonderful ideas everyone has given me.

Growit - Hampshire, Zone "8/9"

Supporting Member

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 04:45 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

DJ, do you sell them?

Bulliedeux  Send Bulliedeux a private message!

My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 05:45 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

What type of gourds did you grow?
I haven't in several years but went through a stage where I had the traditional 'birdhouse' gourds every year.
What gets me is that I've never heard anyone mention the gorgeous white flowers and beautiful fragrance. Of course that's what I'm always looking for anyway, so I was thrilled to discover those attributes.
I think I've still got 2 or 3 hanging in the garage au' natural and 2 that the girls had kidnapped, painted and glittered. I put quite a few out in the trees but never had any home makers. Probably wrong sized or positioned holes.

Bulliedeux - IL, Zone "5b"

Supporting Member

My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 05:46 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Growit wrote on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:12 am:

Oh no! Does that mean no bomb in the post DJ? I was looking forward to that scenario. Bomb squad, terrified postman, headline news. HAHA! Only kidding. I really don't expect you to send me anything.

You're not getting off that easy!! LOL. I just haven't gotten around to doing one for you. I have ideas, but it is hard for me to get started because there is a major difference between making gourds for people I don't know (customers, although some of them are regulars) and making a gourd for someone I consider a friend (you). My lack of artistic talent is a major hang-up and I don't want to embarrass myself by giving you something I think is awful. I have to live up to better than my own expectations and I'm finding that I may not be able to do that. HAHAHA!

Growit  Send Growit a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 09:08 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Heirloomgardens wrote on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 02:52 pm:

I just haven't gotten around to doing one for you.

Oh goody. I lied, I really would like one I think they are stunning. How you can say you are not an artist is beyond me. At the same time please don't stress over making it. I am just happy that you want to send me anything.Whatever you send I know I will love it.

Growit - Hampshire, Zone "8/9"

Plantlady2  Send Plantlady2 a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 12:17 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Heirloomgardens- those are gorgeous! What kind of paint do you paint/seal them with so they can be outdoors & not lose their color or rot?
Cory

Plantlady2 - Washington, Zone "7"

Supporting Member

My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 05:06 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Plantlady2 wrote on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 09:23 pm:

Heirloomgardens- those are gorgeous! What kind of paint do you paint/seal them with so they can be outdoors & not lose their color or rot?

Thank you. I seal them with spar urethane. They still ought to be taken down each winter and then lightly sanded and recoated before being put back out in the spring.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com