Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Rustic Obelisks

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » Rustic Obelisks « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kniceone  Send Kniceone a private message!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 10:32 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This is a photo of our obelisks (late in the season). DH made them to my specifications. My garden is "old tyme" or "pioneer" themed. These are made of beech wood and hemp rope. We grew canary vine on one and the scarlet runner bean seeds for the other were eaten by the squirrels. Next season I hope to grow morning glory on one and cup and saucer vine on the other. Does anyone know the "real name" for cup and saucer vine?

Jodi ONT, Z4, USDA 5a

Formerly_ci  Send Formerly_ci a private message!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 10:44 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Jodi it is Cobaea scandens. Very vigorous yet sort of a tidy growth habit. I don't know if that makes sense. I have a picture I will scan and post later if I have time.

It is a lovely plant and we hope to include it in our student garden next year.

Formerly_ci New York Zone 6/7

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 10:45 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Lovely pillars by the way!

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:22 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks fci - I am assuming it is perennial?

Jodi ONT, Z4, USDA 5a

Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:52 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Not in Ontario Jodi! And not in NY either. It is perennial for Carolyn and EJ though! They had it in the Family Garden across from our student garden and one plant covered an obelisk about the size of yours in just one season. It was quite a sight and very graceful looking.

Monique  Send Monique a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:56 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Jodi..the obelisks are great.I like having vertical supports for so many plants.
I grew cup and saucer for the first time last year.If I can offer a suggestion do start it inside..It takes no time for the vine to grow very huge..But a long time to bloom..That is why it needs a head start for our climate.It is probably the only plant I had success with once I put it outside.And it grew very well indoors for me from seed until then.
Here is a photo of one of my blooms this past summer.
P,S, It grew at least 15ft.PPSS I hope you got my e-mail a couple of days ago

Mnique Québec Zone 5

Susanq  Send Susanq a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 01:18 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oh, Monique, I love that picture. I saved it from when you posted it last summer because it is definitely on my "must have" list for this year. Thanks for the tip of starting the seed early. Does the seed need nicking? I really like your obelisk's, Jodi. Your lucky to have a "handy" DH.

SusanQ - Zone 4b-5b Wisconsin

Ej  Send Ej a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 08:17 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Monique I will be starting my seeds today. Anything special I should do to these?

EJ So. Calif Zone 10a

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 09:07 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Susan..The seeds are very flat..almost like silver dollar seeds(latin name escapes me)..And no, nicking was not required for me..Unlike morning glories the seed is soft.On the net..you can read about people having trouble starting these..I didn't.Another thing I would do differently though is start them in something larger than the tiny peat pots..They got larger than I would have expected in the house.And don't put them out too soon.They like warmth to get a good start outdoors.I shared some of young plants with friends..And theirs did not survive.
Jodi I forgot to say they are not perennials here.

EJ..In The garden Of Eden..I doubt they will need any special attention.I hope you don't end up disliking them as you do Morning Glories because of their rapid growth habit.That is the only concern for The Path.

I hope you all show me your blooms..Good luck.

Mnique Québec Zone 5

Ingwe4  Send Ingwe4 a private message!

Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 11:51 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Or a rusty obelisk.... It's the home for C. Romantika and Ville de Lyon, a bit untidy just now. Have to wait a while to cut the clems down and take cuttings.

I like your obelisks very much Jo-Ann and the style of your garden. And your picture of cup and saucer is fabulous Monique.

Ingmarie Sweden Zone 1

Gardenbug  Send Gardenbug a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 01:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Monique and others- The hyacinth bean vine grows in the same way. I began the seeds early indoors, just as Monique did with her cup & saucers. I had them growing attached to stakes to keep them somewhat manageable in the back room. I planted directly into the large pots.
vine

gardenbug Ontario, Canada zone 5b, USDA zone 4

Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 01:52 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hey thanks everyone. Monique I will be making a trip to the garden centre on Feb. 15 when they open and I think I may look for some hyacinth bean too - that sure looks pretty. I like growing vines along the fences as the fences have been here eons and are UGLY! Best to be hidden from view. I hope mine grows as well as yours did Monique. That photo is absolutely gorgeous.

Jodi ONT, Z4, USDA 5a

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 02:03 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Whooopeeee! Look what I just got!

ob

Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 02:23 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oh lucky lady GB. Now which clematis will you put on it?

Jodi ONT, Z4, USDA 5a

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 02:41 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Lots of ideas Jodi, but I think I'll wait til planting season to decide. Any suggestions?

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 02:46 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Gb that has got so much personality already!I really like those curlycues.

Mnique Québec Zone 5

Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 02:53 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well Monique beat me to it but I promised a picture so here it is. This was taken by my friend Gabe. I scanned it today to ready for our presentation we are doing so I'm sure he won't mind me sharing it with you.

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 04:26 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Why do I think of a trumpet trio when I see this? Certainly is joyful!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 04:36 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This vine had many more blooms than mine.
That is the problem here..I must have had over 60 buds..We had a frost..and then there were none..Earlier the better to get these vines started in my zone..
Maybe I will start this week..!

Mnique Québec Zone 5

Derek  Send Derek a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 04:47 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Wow....Isn't it amazing how Kaveh's picture would spontaneously trigger the same subliminal image from two viewers !

I had not scrolled down to Gardenbug's post yet and when I saw the pic and instantly saw a trio of trumpeters playing in the garden.

And then I saw Gardenbug's comment. It would be interesting to know if Gabe saw that image when the pic was taken?

Derek Quebec 3b

Derek  Send Derek a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 04:55 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Monique,

That is a stunning shot above

Is it a prolific flowering vine?....in other words, is there a heavy concentration of flowers or are they spaced out thinly throughout the vine?

Sounds like an interesting vine to start from seed.What is the exact name in case I see them in a nursery soon.

Derek Quebec 3b

Gardenshowlady  Send Gardenshowlady a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 04:58 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Jodi, I love the obelisks...

Perhaps my sons could build those. With the 'lashing' skills they learned in scouting, they are quite handy little fellows. (I'm speaking of the 12 & 14 year olds)

And having such rustic ones, you might not be so sad when the plants cover them completely. At least I wouldn't!

Very nice!

Carolyn SC Coastal Zone 8

Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 07:06 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

All of DH Boy Scout and my Girl Guide skills were required in making these - rusty skills but I think it would be a great project for your boys. We used beech because it stands up well in our climate but I think you should definately set your boys to constructing them for you.

Jodi ONT, Z4, USDA 5a

Vtskiers  Send Vtskiers a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 09:09 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Is that an obelisk from Rusty Girl, GB? I envy you being able to get those! My OH went to Home Depot today and bought the lumber for my trellis archway he has promised to build...it's about time!

Monique-that is an exquisite shot of that flowering vine! You're making me think I need a new camera.

Sue
Wethersfield, CT USA Zone 6a

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 09:22 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

That's Rusty Girl all right. Love that girl! She has another design now with leaves, but I'm sticking to the whimsy.

Gotta love these husbands and offspring who promise to build goodies...and do it! They do, eventually! The proof is on this forum!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:11 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

That's a great obelisk, GB! The squiggly on top just makes the whole thing. Are there several types of Cup and Saucer vine? Monique's looks more blue and Kaveh's looks purple - or is it just the lighting.

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 04:18 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well, this is a cheat. More rustic you cannot imagine. I "decorated" the front garden with two circles of chicken wire just now. The rabbits have chewed and chewed the rose bushes and I'm trying to save what is left. There's another one I should do later as well. Boy, this is NOT lovely. I'm tempted to buy a huge sack of carrots and dump them behind the barn, far from any trees or garden. That would probably only invite more of them to come visit!

Beverlybaynes  Send Beverlybaynes a private message!

Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 11:51 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Jodi, where did you find the beech poles for your obelisk? A hardwood company somwhere? Cut them out of the woods?

I wonder how an old wooden ladder would work as an obelisk-like thing? Covered in morning glories, with an old watering can planted with something sitting on the paint can 'shelf'? Or maybe a leaking milk jug that drips off the edge into a saucer to attract birds?

Beverly Z5 NE IN

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 07:06 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Beverly - some friends of ours have a woodlot so we went and cut the beech trees in the spring. I think the ladder would look amazing. I bought an old step ladder at an auction sale and brought it home to do that and DH put it in the garbage the very next week and I didn't know! I was a tad upset over that. I'm on the hunt for an old railway crossing sign for my garden. Eventually I'll find one or get DH to make one - he still owes me for the ladder!

Jodi, ONT, Z4, Great White North

Karalyn  Send Karalyn a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 02:32 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Monique,

I just love the vines! When should I start planting these indoors here in ZONE 6 in Boise. My morning glories self seed themselves.
How tall should these get before they should be planted outside?
K.

Karalyn, Boise, Idaho Zone 6

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 07:08 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Karalyn..I started mine last week..I soaked the seeds..
I am in zone 4 USDA..It may be a tad early but I am itching..(I keep saying that!)
They grew quite a bit before I put them out.This time I am waiting until June 1 to put them in the soil.
I have put the seeds in 3 inch pots instead of the tiny seed starting pots.
Just plant outside when the soil is warm..You should harden off also.
Enjoy.They grow SO Fast once outside.Showstoppers they are.

Mnique Québec Zone 5

Karalyn  Send Karalyn a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 02:23 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Okay, I'll get over to the stores, I noticed the seeds are out now for sale. I'm anxious too!
But I have to have an orderly house first! LOL
K.

Karalyn, Boise, Idaho Zone 6

My Weather
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 12:06 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Monique - in celebration of your birthday today I am planting my cobea seeds that you so kindly sent me. I can't wait any longer! All vine seeds are being planted today. Can't you just picture the cup and saucer vine twining its way upward on my rustic obelisk? And along the wire fence, and perhaps on yet another obelisk in the garden itself? Morning glories; black eye susan vine; canary vine.

Jodi, ONT, Z4, Great White North

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 12:17 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I may be wrong, but February seems to me to be the longest month of the year. So Jodie, just keep planting a few each day!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 01:28 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Jodi, here are my cobaea that I planted on Feb 1 which might have been a little early!
As they get bigger I'm transplanting them into larger homes (in the rear). I didn't soak them and
planted them on their sides according to the directions. I'm getting a little worried about
what they're going to look like by the end of May!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 04:42 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Jodi thanks for planting them today..Mine are up too Susan..By may they will be big..But you can keep them cut back and they will send out shooters..I f we plant them out too tine..we will only get flowers by frost..
Jodi..they will look great!
I can't wait till we post our photos..

Mnique Québec Zone 5

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright ©2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com