Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Week by week update on Obelisk

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » Week by week update on Obelisk « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carolyn  Send Carolyn a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 08:28 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Today we made the garden bed around the obelisk and I planted the two Mandevillas and also lobelia around the edge.

DH carted soil uphill in a barrow for hours and then levelled it all out and then the returfing began. We got Buffalo sprigs and planted them every 12 to 15" .

I know it looks pretty uninspiring at present but I will take a photo every week or so and we will watch it develop.

Carolyn, Qld. Aust

Plantynut  Send Plantynut a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 08:45 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Carolyn, you must be aching from all that work. It is going to look awsome! What color will the lobelia be? I am not familiar with buffalo sprigs. Is that a ground cover?

Arlene Zone 7 Long Island, NY

Monique  Send Monique a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 08:57 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I can just picture it.
I think it will be beautiful. I like separate focal areas in a garden like this with one great piece of architecture..Funny that you say it looks uninspiring..I don't see it that way.I already see it lush and full!Really..Like my mind fills it all in. You both must be happy.

Mnique Québec Zone 5

Beverlybaynes  Send Beverlybaynes a private message!

Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 11:20 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I'm late coming to this, Carolyn. What a terrific obelisk! Wonder if I could cobble one up for that butterfly/hummingbird garden I want to plant. Off to one side of the bedframe that will be planted there, maybe, covered in morning glories?

I know the moring glories don't attract b'flies and h'birds, but I do love them, and wouldn't they be pretty cascasing off an obelisk onto the headboard? Gotta have that blue!

Beverly Z5 NE IN

Ej  Send Ej a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 11:32 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Carolyn you and your DH should be very proud of a job well done.

EJ So. Calif Zone 10a

Gardenbug  Send Gardenbug a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 02:03 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Recording the progress will make it all seem quicker Carolyn. I love this kind of work and play!

gardenbug Ontario, Canada zone 5b, USDA zone 4

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 05:14 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Arlene, I like your new profile photo. Buffalo sprigs are a type of lawn. Because of our climate here buffalo is the best to grow and we don't sow it by seed - we put in 200 sprigs. They will spread and fill in the whole area.
DH is the one hurting the most as he had to bring all the soil up the hill by barrow load. Took ages.
Thanks everyone - as long as we can keep the water up to it we will have a nice relaxing area.

Carolyn, Qld. Aust

Plantynut  Send Plantynut a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 06:18 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks for the explaination Carolyn. I can't wait to see it fill in. As for my picture, thanks. I figures the other one is almost a year old and it was time to update.

Arlene Zone 7 Long Island, NY

Kniceone  Send Kniceone a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 07:03 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

It's looking good Carolyn. Can't wait to see it's progress week by week.

Jodi, ONT, Z4, Great White North

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 12:14 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I know this is less than a week but I couldn't believe the growth on the Mandevilla. It must have shot up at least 6" and the buffalo sprigs are moving.

Carolyn, Qld. Aust

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright ©2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com