Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Flower Beds

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » Flower Beds « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Beverlybaynes  Send Beverlybaynes a private message!

Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 11:46 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I've always thought that 'real' flower beds were just hilarious!

Several years ago, a friend stopped by and dropped off an old metal single bed frame that she'd picked up at a garage sale for $2! I've intended every since to make a 'real' flower bed in this little plot in the back. It's filled with fill dirt (that actually looks fairly good -- it grows weeds well enough!).

So, as I've intended for several springs now, I'd like to turn that little plot into a butterfly and hummingbird garden. I want to 'plant' the bedframe in the middle. The plot is perhaps 15x8, and I thought I'd put the bed in at a diagonal across the middle.

A bird bath idea from GW would make a good 'night table' -- a couple of terra cots turned upside down for the base, with a plant saucer on top for the bird bath/table top. Maybe a very rustic obelisk behind it for a 'floor lamp' covered with morning glories.

I have several potted daylilies that have never gotten into the ground yet (although they've bloomed prettily in their pots -- LOVE that "Cherry Cheeks"). So maybe tallish daylilies for the pillow? And a bed spread of "Cut and Come Again" zinnas?

Now, what else do you suggest for decorating my garden bedroom?

Of course, I'll have to get a butterfly bush. And there's a H.Baffin rose for the back wallpaper already. And off to one side, there's a lush trumpet vine covering the side of the shed, although I average only about 3 blooms a summer (they ARE a lucious shade of orange sherbet, tho!). The other side wall is a huge Rose of Sharon that gets multicolored blooms (and gets hacked religiously by me -- it's the most invasive one I've ever seen!).

How well do hibiscus transplant? I've got a nice 'Disco Belle' that is currently by the shed door, but got a little beat up last year by the constant coming and going of the groundhogs that took up residence under the shed. But it has gigantic white blooms (maybe 7-8") with red throats. Might be pretty at the foot of the bed.

The bedframe has been laying around outside for several winters now, and has gotten nicely rusty, although you can still see that it was once painted white.

This plot will get several hours of mid-day sun. The east is shaded by that tall Rose of Sharon (it's probably 10-12' tall). And the afternoon will bring some shade from the shed and dappled shade from the large oak beyond it.

It's Indiana clay fill dirt, but should drain fairly well, as it's a bit of a dump of the dirt, and sits up from the level of yard about 7-8 inches. I'd like to fence the sides and back -- but haven't yet figured out how to glom onto that old iron fencing that sits along the edge of an empty lot downtown. It'd be perfect -- it's rusty and a bit bent up. Guess I'll finally have to stop at the construction company offices next door to it, and ask if it's their's and could I salvage it?

Oh! And there's the croquet balls and mallets I bought at a flea market a couple of summers ago. Croquet balls arranged around the bottom of the 'night table/bird bath', and a the mallets stuck in the ground upside down, with tiny bird feeders hung from the mallet? What do you think?

What else should I think about planting back here?

Beverly Z5 NE IN

Gardenshowlady  Send Gardenshowlady a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 07:04 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Beverly , I just LOVE your style!
I have nothing to add,
except
please be sure to take pics
and post the progress.

Sounds like it will be a charming BEDroom.

oij

Carolyn SC Zone 8a

Monique  Send Monique a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 07:14 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Teacup birdfeeder/baths would be cute..And a stepping stone area rug near the bed..
You have so may good ideas already!

Mnique Québec Zone 5

Swamprose  Send Swamprose a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 09:43 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

It would be nice to construct a canopy over the bed frame and plant vines on it, morning glory or clematis, and let them drape down over the canopy.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of this flower bed when it's done!

SwampRose western Washington zone 8

Gardenbug  Send Gardenbug a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 10:17 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I've seen pictures of one planted with a quilt bedspread! The pillows were solid colors.

gardenbug Ontario, Canada zone 5b, USDA zone 4

Beverlybaynes  Send Beverlybaynes a private message!

Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 11:08 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I hate to disappoint you all, but I have no camera!! :-( I'm waiting to win the lottery to go out and get myself a nice little digital. Or maybe if I got really, really lucky on the board at work on tonight's Superbowl!

And while being bored by the fact that the Raiders completely forgot to show up for that game, and I came up with another idea: I have an old, bent-over feeder pole, with four shepherd-hook-like hangers. Maybe I'll just drape that over the back of the bed, run some twine down to the ground to create that canopy, and let the vines clamber over that! Or hang little feeders off it.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to do my best to paint word-pictures for you all!

Beverly Z5 NE IN

Sheba  Send Sheba a private message!

Posted on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 11:19 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

All the ideas sound wonderful! I really like the canopy idea. I just recently got my camera so I can't wait for the flowers to bloom.

I had to take the plunge and get a camera of my own since I think my sisters were catching onto the fact that it wasn't their company I desired but their cameras!

Sheba - Indiana - Z5

Carolyn  Send Carolyn a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 10:25 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You write a nice descriptive story Beverly so imagine when you also have a camera.

Carolyn, Qld. Aust

Honeybee_63069  Send Honeybee_63069 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 10:15 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

A neighbor around the corner used a baby crib and made a "flower bed" with it. They cut the legs down. Really looks cute.

Mary Missouri Zone 5

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright ©2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com