Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Too busy? Too lazy?

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Composting and Soil Amendments-Archives » Too busy? Too lazy? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kellied  Send Kellied a private message!

Posted on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 10:47 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have a very large area of very sandy soil that needed to be humus enriched, but didn't have the time or money that it would require to do so. ENTER THE EARTHWORM!!! I am fortunate enough to have two horses, so the raw materials were readily available. I sheet composted the area with a straw/manure mixture that was only partly broken down and let the little guys do the rest. Voila! Sandy loam!
I could have put down commercially prepared compost, but then the worms would have had no organic matter to be attracted to, and I would not have earthworm castings in my soil. Win, win situation!

Kellied

Gardenshowlady  Send Gardenshowlady a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 12:18 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Definitely the way to go, Kellie! Did you use anything under the manure and straw?
Like newspaper or cardboard, like the "Lasagna Gardening" method speaks of?
Can you send me some horse manure?
Just kidding!

Carolyn SC Zone 8a

Cahenry  Send Cahenry a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 08:57 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You are so lucky to have manure - and the horses, too.
I need to amend huge areas of clay. I've been using the 'lasagna method' as best I can with grass clippings, leaves, straw, but I need more organic material. A couple of truckloads of manure would certainly help. LOL
In my area (within a 50 mile radius) I can get manure, rabbit or poultry litter. I have the truck... My back won't hold up to getting and spreading it by myself. That's pretty much been my strategy so far. This year I have to come up with some other options.
My DH is a Basset Hound - not terribly energetic, and my DS (11 yrs.) is a Golden Retriever - lovable fun-seeker (according to their dog profiles). What's a hardworking St. Bernard to do? Hire cheap labor, I guess. LOL

cahenry (Cathy) GA Zone 7

Kellied  Send Kellied a private message!

Posted on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 10:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Carolyn, I didn't use anything under the straw/manure mix. I just put it down extremely thick on top of the weeds, about 8" or so. I got very little weed regrowth, even from dandelions, and what did push back up was extremely easy to pull.

Cathy, I really think cheap labor is the ticket. Does your son have any close buddies that want to earn a few bucks? Bribing them with pizza after the job is done could work very well!!
Lucky you having access to rabbit manure. Wish I did!!

Kellied

Karalyn  Send Karalyn a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 01:00 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hey, thanks for the tip, I have some sandy soil too that could use some enriching. I do have my chicken poop and I could get some straw, I also have a lawn that could be mowed again, probably today.

I like how you said the weeds stayed away or they were easy to pull. The main ones that grow in this area is that darn thistle that has little tentacles under the ground and pop up everywhere. My most hated weed is the chicory plant. Yuck!

I just have to keep a handle on it with Weed B' Gon.

Karalyn Idaho Zone 6

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com