Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Coffee Grounds

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Composting and Soil Amendments-Archives » Coffee Grounds « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jak3  Send Jak3 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 07:22 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Anybody use large amounts of coffee grounds to amend their soil? What does it do? I have a source very nearby - a coffee shop - that would happily save all of their grounds in a bucket for me to pick up each day...but I don't really know if it is a good idea.

Julie; Merrickville, Ontario, Canada, Zone 4

Kvilledude  Send Kvilledude a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 11:05 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

You can use them to acidify the soil around those plants that like acidic soil. I personally add them to the compost pile as a nitrogen source to help heat the pile up. I scrounge them from every source I can find.

Kvilledude North Carolina Zone 7

Jak3  Send Jak3 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 05:02 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

O.K. I will make arrangements to pick these up for a while. thanks.

Julie; Merrickville, Ontario, Canada, Zone 4

Kellied  Send Kellied a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 11:25 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Not only that, but the earthworms love them!

Kellied

Karalyn  Send Karalyn a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 12:55 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hey, since this forum is so quiet I've been at the other site on soil stuff so we got to get this one crackin'!

I've learned a whole bunch over there and coffee grounds aren't acidic due to the acid being processed away into the coffee drink.

I scored royally yesterday at Starbuck's. I didn't even know or recalled we had a Starbuck's in our town outside of Boise, since it took the place of a scrapbooking store plus I don't drink coffee.

So when I went grocery shopping, I stopped by there bought a hot chocolate and pumpkin bread and asked the guy about collecting grounds. They have them and noone is asking for them. He said they usually put out an advertisement or something in spring for the grounds, but I won't need them in spring, because I will have lots of resources for nitrogen, such as grass clippings and garden waste.

Well, he called this morning and said he has three bags for me and he also saw some bags of grounds either from the shop next to theirs or somewhere while he was around their dumpster or wherever they go. I think their dumpster, etc. is in a locked area that regular folk can't get to in the building.

So I get to go make my haul today while I go get my hair permed. Yippee! Now if only my son would have gone to school this morning! lol

Too busy playing with electrical stuff for his Scout Winter campout. But I can relate, if I'm on a roll with gardening, I would still continue past my bedtime and put some lights on.

Although, I am the Mother! Haha.

Karalyn Idaho Zone 6

Shirley1md  Send Shirley1md a private message!

Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 06:58 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I always amend my acidic loving plants with both coffee grounds and yesterday's leftover coffee. I figure it can't hurt my acidic plants, plus the earthworms and all the micro-nutrients in the soil seem to enjoy it.

Since I work full-time, I gather the coffee grounds from our huge containers of coffee that are feed to the employees. The coffee gives me my "jump-start" for the day, plus I then bring home the coffee grounds to amend my soil. Nothing wasted here!

Shirley Maryland Zone 7a

Kvilledude  Send Kvilledude a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 08:37 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I gather them from work also Shirley!

Kvilledude - North Carolina, Zone "7A"

Susanq  Send Susanq a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Susanq

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:28 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Has any had any luck with acidifying their "blue" hydrangeas?
I tried grounds last year to no avail.

SusanQ - Zone 4b-5b Wisconsin

Sandykk  Send Sandykk a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 06:53 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I also pick up from Starbucks. We even toss them on the grass, throughout my flower beds etc. Haven't seen any ill effects on anything from them.

Sandykk - Maryland, Zone "6/7"

Hydrangea  Send Hydrangea a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 08:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Yes, I routinely have success Susanq!

I just use aluminum sulphate. It really works you have to put on quite a bit over several weeks until it really seeps down to the roots and has long term effect.

Hydrangea - Ontario, Zone "Canada 5b USA 4"

Lynne_kelly  Send Lynne_kelly a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 06:10 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Can anybody provide a link or a list of acid-loving plants? I am hesitant to toss coffee grounds on everything.
Thanks!
Lynne

Lynne_kelly - Washington state, Zone "8, but that has never stopped me..."

Sunnyday2day  Send Sunnyday2day a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:15 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I've just come across this thread but thought I'd let you know of another use for coffee grounds. I'm saving mine because I read that slugs don't like them so they can be sprinkled around the hostas to keep them away. It's worth a shot!

Sunnyday2day - Michigan, Zone "5"

Uriahcompostheap  Send Uriahcompostheap a private message!

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:41 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Sunnyday2day wrote on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 05:15 am:

Unfortunately, Sunnyday, it turns out that the coffee-keeps-away-slugs theory is a bit of a myth, albeit with a grain of truth. Research has shown that caffeine does deter slugs, but only in large amounts. In order to keep away slugs, you have to spray a solution of 1-2% caffeine. But coffee itself only contains a fraction of that amount, about .05-.1%, depending on the brewing method.

And it seems that while a high dosage caffeine spray keeps away slugs, it also can cause foliar damage and yellowing of the leaves.

I was excited about the possibility too, until I did further research and had my hopes dashed. Oh well, at least coffee grounds do have some other positive garden uses.

Uriahcompostheap - Ontario, Zone "6A"

Lyla  Send Lyla a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 10:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Really?? Slugs don't like coffee grounds Sunnyday2Day? I have them really bad and they start to eventually eat my petunias, I drink coffee so I will try that, Thanks I always wanted to find out what would work!

Lyla - Saskatchewan, Zone "2b" Click to hear a voice greeting from Lyla

Rosesarered  Send Rosesarered a private message!

Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 03:22 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Susanq wrote on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:40 am:

Has any had any luck with acidifying their "blue" hydrangeas?

Hi Susan
I read somewhere, to make it blue, plant some rusty nails at the roots of the hydrangeas.

I haven't tried it but will do soon. Will report if my pink turns blue next year.

cheers

Rosesarered - Ennetbaden, Switzerland, Zone " 7"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com